A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

Cannington Church - Former
Cannington Church - Former 00-10-2013 - (c) gordon@mingor.net
Cannington Church - Former unknown date - City of Canning - See Note.

Cannington Church - Former

Cannington, WA 6107

Church Information

Church Name: Cannington Church - Former
Church Previous Name: Albany Highway - Congregational Church/Cannington Uniting Church
Denomination: Non-denominational
Street Address: 39 Woodloes St, Cannington WA 6107, Australia
Suburb: Cannington
State: WA
Postcode: 6107
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: 

No foundation stone details are known for the original church building. Information/photographs are invited.

A stone records: "This stone was set in place by - Mrs Dora Betsy Fairclough (nee Cockram) - 9-9-1990.- To commemorate the 100th Anniversary of - the laying of the original foundation stone - of The Old Main Road Congregational ... - "Church with the Chimney" - which formerly stood on the portion of - Canning Location 95 - Albany Road Cannington - 10/9/1890". 

Date Opened: 00-00-1890
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org


The Cannington Church (formerly the Cannington Congregational Church  AKA  the Church with a Chimney) closed many years ago and is now owned by the City of Canning. The church building was erected about 1890 beside the Albany Highway, but when the Albany Highway was widened about 1990, the church building had to be removed, and was relocated and re-erected at the present site. More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 9/11/2018 & 20/2/2023.

Note: By email 31/8/2022. The following additional information has been provided by Jackie Bobich whose 2 x great grandfather built the church, and added the chimney to keep the parishionesrs warm. It is also believed he supplied the original church site/land. His name was Edwin Cockram (1844-1911). He and his wife Betsy Cockram owned the first shop in Cockram Street, and supplied Mason & Bird (the local timber millers) and other settlers in the district. He also built the Cannington Hotel, as he wasn't allowed to sell alcohol from his shop." 

Note: Photograph attribution/source - https://www.canning.wa.gov.au/CanningWebsite/media/Media/Recreation/Facilities/Halls-and-Community-Centres/Woodloes-Church-with-a-Chimney.jpg
Last Updated: Monday 20th February, 2023