Shepparton Uniting Church - Former
Shepparton Uniting Church - Former - Original Wesleyan building in foreground 00-01-2022 - realcommercial.com.au
Shepparton Uniting Church - Former 00-01-2022 - realcommercial.com.au

Shepparton Uniting Church - Former

Shepparton, VIC 3630

Church Information

Church Name: Shepparton Uniting Church - Former
Church Previous Name: Shepparton Methodist Church
Denomination: Uniting Church in Australia
Street Address: 136 Maude St, Shepparton VIC 3630, Australia
Suburb: Shepparton
State: VIC
Postcode: 3630
Foundation Stone Laid: 19-08-1908
Foundation Stone Notes: 

Two foundation stones laid for the former church building record"

  • This stone was laid by - John Furphy Esq - 19th August 1908 - 'God is love'.
  • The other stone was laid by Mr Ralph Longstaff (the text is not known).

A tablet records: In Memory of those who paid the - Supreme Sacrifice during the War - of 1939-45, and in thanksgiving for - those who returned. - This stone was laid by - Mr A W Phillips - A trustee of this church - on 23rd June 1956 - Paul P Gribben ~ Trust Secretary - H J Forbes ~ Builder

Other memorial tablets/plaques are located throughout the buildings - but details are not known.

Date Opened: 00-00-1908
Date Closed: 00-00-2021
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

The former Shepparton Uniting Church, is now closed, and the property was sold in January 2022. It was previously the Shepparton Methodist Church, becoming part of the Uniting Church on its formation on 22/6/1977.

The Shepparton Methodist Church held its 80th anniversary in 1953. Its first worship service in Shepparton was held in Furphy's Blacksmith Shop in 1873. It was conducted by the Rev R L Reed of Rushworth, who arrived on horseback. The first church building was erected about a year later in Welsford Street, on land donated by Mr Furphy. It was a wooden structure and the first church building in the district. It was erected under the auspices of The Conference of the United Methodist Free Connection.

A separate Wesleyan Methodist Church began in 1878. Its first service was conducted in Mr Furphy's home by the Rev J J Brown. The Wesleyans built their first building in 1879, a brick structure in Stewart Street. It later erected a new church building, at the current site in Maude Street, in 1885.

The Union of these two branches of the Methodist Church occurred in the 1890s during the ministry of the Rev T S B Woodful, a Wesleyan minister stationed at Shepparton. This was earlier than the official union of the various Methodist Churches in 1902.

The present building was erected in August 1908. The stones were laid by the men who represented the two churches in their union negotiations.  More historical information/photographs of the former church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 1/2/2/22.



For more of the church story see: https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-2918279067/view?partId=nla.obj-2918280305#page/n0/mode/1up
Last Updated: Sunday 15th May, 2022
ADVANCED SEARCH