St Joseph's Catholic Church - Former
St Joseph's Catholic Church - Former 23-11-2022 - Derek Flannery
St Joseph's Catholic Church - Former 23-11-2022 - Derek Flannery

St Joseph's Catholic Church - Former

Glenorchy, VIC 3385

Church Information

Church Name: St Joseph's Catholic Church - Former
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Catholic Church in Australia
Street Address: 3 Bunbury St, Glenorchy VIC 3385, Australia
Suburb: Glenorchy
State: VIC
Postcode: 3385
Foundation Stone Laid: 14-02-1914
Foundation Stone Notes: 

Foundation stone records: A.M.D.G. - This stone was laid by - The Most Rev. Dr Higgins - Bishop of Ballarat - Feb 14th 1914 - John P Walsh   Pastor.

Heritage plaque records: St Joseph's Catholic Church - St Joseph's Catholic Church was built in 1914 and is an example of a Federation Gothic style building in brick. It replaced the earlier timber church building on the same site that was constructed in 1884. It was designed by Architects Clegg, Miller and E W Riley of Horsham and Ballarat who designed a wide range of buildings throughout central and western Victoria. Its design and construction is very similar to a Catholic Church at Stuart Mill built two years earlier, but it is not known whether it was designed by the same architects. - The two acres of land on which it is built was first gazetted as a reserve for the building of a Catholic church on 27th Sept 1861. The application was made by the Rev. Dr Fitzpatrick. - Attendees to this church came from a wide surrounding area from places such as Dadswell's Bridge, Lubeck, Wal Wal, Campbell's Bridge and Riachella. The large congregation included many with local names such as Phelan, Delahuntly, Kinsella and Leahy. - The church was officially closed and deconsecrated in 1975 by church authorities, although it is reported that a local priest continued to hold services in it for some time after this, despite the building having no power.

Date Opened: 00-00-1914
Date Closed: 00-00-1975


The former St Joseph's CatholicChurh, Glenorchy was part of the Diocese of Ballarat. The church building was deconsecrated in 1975, but ownership status is not known. The present church building was erected in 1914, replacing an earlier wooden structure built in 1884. No other details are known. More historical information/photographs of the former church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 16/1/2023.
Last Updated: Monday 27th March, 2023