St Augustine's Anglican Church
St Augustine's Anglican Church 07-07-2022 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria
St Augustine's Anglican Church - Former Hall 07-07-2022 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria

St Augustine's Anglican Church

Inglewood, VIC 3517

Church Information

Church Name: St Augustine's Anglican Church
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Anglican Church of Australia
Street Address: 67 Sullivan St, Inglewood VIC 3517, Australia
Suburb: Inglewood
State: VIC
Postcode: 3517
Foundation Stone Laid: 02-02-1864
Foundation Stone Notes: 

Foundation stone records: St Augustine's - A D 1884.

A plaque records: To the Glory of God - and in loving memory of - Alma Valencia & James Turpie - Gift of their loving children - and nephew Alec. - Dedicated: Sept 7th 1962.

A plaque records: St Augustine's Church - of England - (Anglican Church) - The present church was designed by architects Vahland and Getzschmann and built of local brick by Mr Rose. The foundation stone was laid on Frebruary 2nd 1864 and the church was opened for services on 16th June 1864. In 1878 a Fincham Pipe Organ was acquired and in 1884 extensions took place with the erection of a sanctuary, vestry and organ recess. The organ was placed on the Heritage Victoria - Register in 1990. St Augustine's Church was classified by the National - Trust in 1973 and remains one of the oldest and finest buildings - in Inglewood. Many of its beautiful stained glass windows - are endowed as memorials to local benefactors.

Notice Board records: First Sunday Service held 1860 - Regular services began January 1861 - Foundation Stone laid 2/2/1864 - Opened & Dedicated 16th June 1864 - Consecrated 18th May 1873 - Chancel added & consecrated 2/10/1884.

A plaque at the former church hall records: Church of England - Sunday School Hall - (Anglican Parish Hall) - Prior to the erection of the St Augustine's Sunday School Hall in 1894 a small timber and iron cottage owned by a local butcher occupied this site...The hall was opened on October 23rd 1894 and classes were held twice every Sunday due to the large number of children. In recent years this hall has been used for dancing, the annual Pancake Day, afternoon teas and other community events.

Date Opened: 16-06-1864
Date Closed: unknown


The St Augustine's Anglican Church, Inglewood is part of the Parish of Inglewood and the Diocese of Bendigo. The present church building was opened on 16/6/1864. More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 22/7/2022.
Last Updated: Friday 22nd July, 2022