Scot's Uniting Church
Scot's Uniting Church 02-01-2020 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria
Scot's Uniting Church - Hall 02-01-2020 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria

Scot's Uniting Church

Lake Bolac, VIC 3351

Church Information

Church Name: Scot's Uniting Church
Church Previous Name: Scot's Presbyterian Church
Denomination: Uniting Church in Australia
Street Address: 139 Montgomery St, Lake Bolac VIC 3351, Australia
Suburb: Lake Bolac
State: VIC
Postcode: 3351
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: 

No Foundation Stone or Memorial Plaque details are known. Information/photographs are invited.

An historical plaque records: Historic Lake Bolac - Presbyterian Church - Scot's Presbyterian Church was built in 1878 by stonemason Robert Helme on land donated by Mr Josiah Park. - The architect was Mr George Harriott of Wickliffe. Rev J S Muir preached the opening service. - The vestry was added in 1961 and the porch in 1964. The Sunday School was built in 1940. - Methodist services were held in the church on Sunday evenings prior to 1918 and Church of England services were held until 1958. The congregation of Scot's became part of the Uniting Church in 1977. - Four unique stained glass windows are dedicated by local families in memory of : Lewis and May Mills, G V Moreton (1st AIF) WWI, Sgt C D Hucker (RAAF) WWII, Miss N B Moreton (WRANS) WWII. - In the horse and buggy era, stables at the rear provided welcome protection from the bleak winds which blew across the plains.

A plaque on the gate records: To the Glory of God - and in memory of - Ruby Dixon - 1895 ~ 1947.

A plaque on the gate records: To the Glory of God - and to the memory of - James Murray - 1873 ~ 1944.

Date Opened: 00-00-1878
Date Closed: unknown


The Scots Uniting Church, Lake Bolac is part of the Presbytery of Western Victoria and the Uniting Church Synod of Victoria & Tasmania.The Scot's Presbyterian Church was built about 1878, the Rev J S Muir preaching the opening service. More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded  20/1/2020.
Last Updated: Tuesday 16th November, 2021