Camperdown Presbyterian Church
Camperdown Presbyterian Church 12-01-2018 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria
Camperdown Presbyterian Church + Adjoining Hall 12-01-2018 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria

Camperdown Presbyterian Church

Camperdown, VIC 3260

Church Information

Church Name: Camperdown Presbyterian Church
Church Previous Name: Camperdown Methodist Church - Former
Denomination: Presbyterian Church of Australia
Street Address: 59 Campbell St, Camperdown VIC 3260, Australia
Suburb: Camperdown
State: VIC
Postcode: 3260
Foundation Stone Laid: 21-01-1904
Foundation Stone Notes: 

Foundation stone records: To the Glory of God - This stone - was laid by the - President of the Conference - The Rev E S Bickford - 21st January 1904.

A plaque for the hall records: To the Glory of God - This hall was opened by - The Rev C R Thomas - Moderator of the - Presbyterian Church of Victoria - on Saturday 2nd March 1996.

Date Opened: 00-05-1904
Date Closed: unknown


The first buidling on this site was a timber church built in 1871 for a Wesleyan congregation. After the Wesleyan and Bible Christian Churches united and became part of the Methodist church in 1898/9 a new church large enough for the two local congregations was planned. The foundation stone for the new church was laid on 21/1/1904, and it was opened in May 1904. 

When the  Methodist, Congregational and Presbyterian Churches formed the Uniting Church in Australia, in June 1977,  the Presbyterian parishioners who chose to continue in the Presbyterian denomination, met in local halls. In 1981 they purchased this church building from the Uniting Church. After renovations were completed, Presbyterian services commenced in the building on 22/11/1981. In 1996 a new hall adjoining the church was added.

More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photograph uploaded 16/1/2018.

Last Updated: Tuesday 16th January, 2018