A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

Holy Trinity Anglican Church
Holy Trinity Anglican Church 04-12-2021 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria
Holy Trinity Anglican Church 04-12-2021 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria

Holy Trinity Anglican Church

Bacchus Marsh, VIC 3340

Church Information

Church Name: Holy Trinity Anglican Church
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Anglican Church of Australia
Street Address: 19 Gisborne Rd, Bacchus Marsh VIC 3340, Australia
Suburb: Bacchus Marsh
State: VIC
Postcode: 3340
Foundation Stone Laid: 20-05-1876
Foundation Stone Notes: 

The foundation stone was laid by Bishop Thornton of Ballarat on 20/5/1876. The text on the foundation stone is not known. Information/photographs are invited.

A headstone in the cemetery records: Sacred - to - The Memory of - Captain - William Henry - Bacchus - who died 26th Feb. 1849 - Aged 67 years.

Foundation stone on church hall records: Gloria in Excelsis Deo - This memorial stone was laid - by the - Very Rev G O Vance DD - Dean of Melbourne - on Wed. July 30th 1902 - Rector: Rev C A Brewer BA - Sec of Vestry: A C Simon Esq

Plaque on gate records: These Gates - were dedicated by - Bishop D Baker - on the 8/11/1953. - In memory of - A C Simon. - Secretary & Treasurer - 1884 ~ 1924 - and his son - Herbert Le Couteur - Vestryman & Churchwarden - 1916 ~ 1953 - Gift of the Simon Family.

Plaque on gate records: These gates were dedicated by - Dr F W Head - Archbishop of Melbourne - in the centenary year (October 25th 1936) - to the memory of the Pioneers of - Holy Trinity Church, Bacchus Marsh.

Plaque on the gate in front of the church hall records: In memory of - Arthur Wilfred - Simon - 5 years 10 mths.


Date Opened: 04-07-1855
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org


The Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Bacchus Marsh is part of the Parish of Bacchus Marsh and the Diocese of Melbourne. Early Anglican services were being held in the district from about 1847. The erection of the first church building commenced in 1851 and was opened by Dean Hussey Macartney on 4/7/1855. It was built on land donated by William Bacchus. This building was consecrated by Bishop Perry on 28/7/1861. The present church building was opened on 5/6/1877 by Bishop Moorhouse who also consecrated it on 20/4/1881. The church celebrated its 150th anniversary on 3/7/2005. A small cemetery adjoins the church. More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 20/12/2021.

For more of the Holy Trinity story see - Osborn, Betty (1977). A history of Holy Trinity Church of England, Bacchus Marsh (2d ed., rev. and enl. ed.). Bacchus Marsh, Vic.: Bacchus Marsh & District Historical Society. ISBN 0-9599718-3-1.  Not sighted.

Note: Photograph attribution/soource - By Mattinbgn - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=5682381

Last Updated: Thursday 23rd December, 2021