A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

Christ Church Aglican Church
Christ Church Aglican Church 11-01-2018 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria
Christ Church Aglican Church - Hall 11-01-2018 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria

Christ Church Aglican Church

Birregurra, VIC 3242

Church Information

Church Name: Christ Church Aglican Church
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Anglican Church of Australia
Street Address: 7 Sladen St, Birregurra VIC 3242, Australia
Suburb: Birregurra
State: VIC
Postcode: 3242
Foundation Stone Laid: 06-04-1870
Foundation Stone Notes: 

Foundation stone records: This foundation stone - laid by - Davenport Bromfield - 6th April 1870.

Foundation stone from the now demolished Sunday School building records: To the Glory of God - and - in memory of - Wm Edmundson - erected by his widow - 1890.

A plaque on the gate post records: To the Glory of God - In affectionate memory of - Eliza Roberts - and also of - The Rev Thos. Sabine - First Vicar of this Parish.

A plaque records: To the greater Glory of God - this building was erected - in memory of - Donald Angus Gardiner - Born 26.1.1922  Died 26.2.1989 - donated by his wife - Jean and Family - August 1992.

A plaque on a seat records: Joan's Seat -  In Memory of - N Joan Stark (1923-2011) - loving & loved wife of Alan M Stark (1921-1992) - Joan loved Birregurra - and especially - this place of peace.

A plaque on the church hall records: All Saints Church - Mt Gellibrand - Relocated to Christ Church, Birregurra - November 1950

A plaque on the church hall records: To the Glory of God - St Mark's Church Hall - Nalangil - Relocated to Christ Church Birregurra - November 1977.


Date Opened: 22-01-1871
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org


The church was opened on 22/1/1871 by Bishop Perry. The bell tower and spire being added in 1890. The church was consecrated on 12/1/1876 by Dr Thornton, the newly appointed first Bishop of Ballarat.

The original brick Sunday School was built by Mrs Edmundson, of Elliminook, in memory of her second husband, William Edmundson in 1890. 

Her first husband, John Davenport Bromfield had laid the church foundation stone on 6/4/1870. He was in very indifferent health at the time and died a few weeks later.

After the Sunday School building became unsuitable it was demolished. It was replaced by the present timber building, formerly the relocated Mt Gelibrand, All Saints Church of England (1950) which was joined to the relocated Nalangil, St Marks Church Hall. (1977).

The original brass bell from the Buntingdale Aboriginal Mission is located in the church porch.

Joint services are now shared regularly between Christ Church and the Birregurra Uniting Church.

More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited.Photographs uploaded 14/1/2018.

Brief histories (1) Jubilee Souvenir 1920 Booklet - Mr S C Lewis and (2) One Hundred Years of Anglican Faith - Rev A M Cole - as part of centenary celebrations.
Last Updated: Saturday 12th January, 2019