A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

St John's Presbyterian Church
St John's Presbyterian Church 22-06-2016 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria
St John's Presbyterian Church 22-06-2016 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria

St John's Presbyterian Church

Bendigo, VIC 3550

Church Information

Church Name: St John's Presbyterian Church
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Presbyterian Church of Australia
Street Address: 35-41 Forest St, Bendigo VIC 3550, Australia
Suburb: Bendigo
State: VIC
Postcode: 3550
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: 

No Foundation Stone details are held. Information/photographs are invited.

A Memorial Stone records: This stone - was laid by - Rev L D Bevan LLB DD - to commemorate the formation - of the church in November 1858 - On Earth Peace.

A Memorial stone records: Memorial stone - laid by - Wm Higgins Esq - 23rd April 1890 - ...Thy Kingdom Come.

A plaque records: This church became the property of - The Uniting Church of Victoria - in July 1977 - and was purchased and re-opened - To The Glory Of God - for Presbyterian Worship - on 6th October 1985 - Moderator Rev Arthur Stamp MA BD - Minister Rev J E Webster BA L Th.

Date Opened: 06-10-1985
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org


The current St John's Presbyterian Church, Bendigo building was re-opened and re-dedicated on 6/10/1985, although Presbyterians had been worshipping in various locations in the Bendigo district, since their beginnings in a slab hut with a calico roof in January 1854. Their present building had originally been erected for the Congregational Church in 1890, but was acquired by the Presbyterians in 1949 and opened as St John's in 1951. The building then became part of the property of the Uniting Church, when it was formed in June 1977. It was subsequently purchased back from the Uniting Church by the remaining St John's congregation in 1985.1 Photographs uploaded 23/09/2016.


For more of the St John's story see - https://bendigopc.org.au/about/history/st-johns/

Last Updated: Thursday 21st May, 2020