A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

Pilgrim Uniting Church
Pilgrim Uniting Church 09-01-2020 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria
Pilgrim Uniting Church 09-01-2020 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria

Pilgrim Uniting Church

Adelaide, SA 5000

Church Information

Church Name: Pilgrim Uniting Church
Church Previous Name: Stow Memorial Congregational Church
Denomination: Uniting Church in Australia
Street Address: 12 Flinders St, Adelaide SA 5000, Australia
Suburb: Adelaide
State: SA
Postcode: 5000
Foundation Stone Laid: 07-02-1865
Foundation Stone Notes: 

The foundation stone was laid on 7/2/1865. The text on the foundation stone is not known. Information/photographs are invited.

A plaque records: This building was erected to the Glory of God - and as a memorial to the Pioneer Congregational Minister - in South Australia, Thomas Quinton Stow - Minister of this church, 1837 ~ 56 - The building was opened for worship on 12th April, 1867 - + - Pilgrim Church - was established on Trinity Sunday, 1st June 1969 - by the union of - Stow Memorial Church - (formed on 19th December 1837) - and - Pirie Street Methodist Church - (formed on 11th May 1837).

An historical plaque records: Pilgrim Church - Erected as a memorial to Reverend T Q Stow, the Congregational Church replaced one erected in 1939 ~ 1840 in Freeman Street (Gawler Place). A design competition was held in 1864 which was won by the architect Robert George Thomas and builders Brown and Thompson (Formerly English and Brown). Construction started in 1865 and the church opened in 1867.

A plaque records: Pilgrim Centre - Dedicated and opened by - The Rev Ian Tanner - Moderator of - The Uniting Church in South Australia - 18th June 1978 - To the Glory of God - and for 'A pilgrim people. Always on the way'.

Date Opened: 12-04-1867
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org


No other details are known about the Pilgrim Uniting Church, Adelaide. More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 7/2/2020.

Note: Photograph attribution/source - http://collections.slsa.sa.gov.au/resource/B+1941 [Public domain]
Last Updated: Saturday 8th February, 2020