A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

Cross of Christ Lutheran Church - Former
Cross of Christ Lutheran Church - Former unknown date - chapelhill.homeip.net - See Note.
Cross of Christ Lutheran Church - Former 00-00-1922 - chapelhill.homeip.net - See Note.

Cross of Christ Lutheran Church - Former

Teviotville, QLD 4309

Church Information

Church Name: Cross of Christ Lutheran Church - Former
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Lutheran
Street Address: Teviotville QLD 4309, Australia
Suburb: Teviotville
State: QLD
Postcode: 4309
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: No Foundation Stone or Memorial Plaque details are known. Information/photographs are invited.
Date Opened: 00-05-1909
Date Closed: 00-05-1969
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org


The Cross of Christ Lutheran Church. "Through a Church paper from the South, Mr. Heinrich Liekefett of  Teviotville, learned there was a Lutheran Synod in the Southern States  with the same views on doctrine as he believed were correct. He contacted that Synod (it was later called the "Evangelical Lutheran Church of Australia.") The result was that Pastor Otto Nichterlein from the Downs  commenced to conduct services in 1903 at H. Liekefett's home. A congregation was established on New Year's Day, 1904. Present at this service were: Mr. and Mrs. H. Liekefett and family, Mr. and Mrs. F. Richter and family, and Mrs. Richter's parents Mr. and Mrs. W. Raeck. This congregation grew. In 1909 it was too big to have services in a private home, so a church building was built on land donated by Heinrich Liekefett.
In 1915, a Parish was formed with Barney View and Helidon Serving the congregation at this time was Pastor C. Hoff, who only remained as Pastor during 1915 and boarded at F. Richter's.
In 1916, a parsonage was built for the new resident Pastor H. F. A. Bode. Pastor Bode worked very successfully for 53 years, and at first, travelled by push bike, horse and buggy with two horses, train, and from 1927 a car. Four years after arriving, Pastor Bode married. His wife Claire is well remembered as a music and singing teacher, and for her beautiful singing voice.
With the uniting of the Lutheran Synods,  Teviotville closed in May 1969 on the 60th Anniversary of the church building. Teviotville did not have to close on account of lack of  membership or attendance. The services were always very well attended right to the last. The Teviotville Church building was used to enlarge our sister congregation in Boonah.
The manse was given to Pastor and Mrs. Bode as a token of appreciation for services rendered. Approximately half of the members joined St. John's Kalbar." (Extract: Fassifern Lutheran Church History/Teviotville (Cross of Christ) Lutheran Church - see reference below).

More historical information/photographs of the former church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 5/11/2019.


Note: Photograph attribution/source and church history - http://www.chapelhill.homeip.net/FamilyHistory/Other/Districts/Boonah/Kalbar-Lutheran/FassifernLutheranChurchHistory.html
Last Updated: Tuesday 5th November, 2019