A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

St David's Anglican Church
St David's Anglican Church 01-07-2011 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria
St David's Anglican Church 01-07-2011 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria

St David's Anglican Church

Mossman, QLD 4873

Church Information

Church Name: St David's Anglican Church
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Anglican Church of Australia
Street Address: 3 Foxton Ave, Mossman QLD 4873, Australia
Suburb: Mossman
State: QLD
Postcode: 4873
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: 

No Foundation Stone details are known. Information/photograhs are invited.

A plaque records: The Story of St David's Church - 1899 ~ Timber church erected - 1911 ~ Church destroyed by cyclone - 1911 ~ 'Mens' Reading Room/Hall - converted into a 'temporary' church. - This 'Tin Church' used until 1952 - 1912 ~ Construction of stone church began - 1952 ~ Stone church completed and dedicated - 1983 ~ Chapel and Vestry added.

A plaque records: This Pioneers Memorial Walkway and Garden - was dedicated - to the greater glory of God - in thanksgiving for the contribution made by - the Pioneers of the district - by - Clyde - Bishop of North Queensland - 20th September 1998 - The centenary of the Parish.

A plaque records: 'Raintree' - Samanea Saman - The Revd Edward Tafts - Rector of St David's 1904 ~ 1950 - planted the 'Raintrees' using seeds obtained - from Jamaica by Mossman pioneer Dan Hart - Douglas Shire Council - Parish of Mossman/Port Douglas - Centenary of Federation Year 2001.

A plaque records: This plaque was unveiled by the - Bishop of North Queensland - The Rt Revd John Noble - to mark the 90th anniversary of the - commemnement of the building of the - church and the 50th anniversary of - its completion and dedication - September 2002.

A plaque records: To the Glory of God - the Rectory fence was - donated in memory of - Walter Howard Cecil - 1910 ~ 1999 - January 2002.

A plaque records: St David's Memorial Garden - was dedicated on the 15th August 2010 - to the Glory of God and as a place for the ashes of the faithful departed - May they rest in peace.

A plaque by the door records: This stone - was part of - the original cross - on - St David's Cathedral - Hobart.

Date Opened: 27-09-1952
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org


The first St David's Church buiding was a simple wooden structure, built on land donated by Dan Hart at Foxton Avenue. It was named St David's on the suggestion of Mr R D Rex, Parish Secretary, who had been the first child baptised in St David's Cathedral, Hobart. The church building was dedicated on 29/5/1899

It was destroyed by a cyclone in 1911. A replacement stone church was opened in 1952.

More photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs up loaded 26/8/2018.

For more historical information see - Anglicans in tropical paradise: A brief history of the Parsh of Mossman/Port Douglas, Far North Queensland,  2011. Publsihed by Parish of Mossman Port Douglas, April 2012. Printed by Bolton Print, Cairns.
Last Updated: Sunday 26th August, 2018