A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

All Saints Anglican Church
All Saints Anglican Church 01-08-2020 - David Hyde
All Saints Anglican Church 01-08-2020 - David Hyde

All Saints Anglican Church

Muttaburra, QLD 4732

Church Information

Church Name: All Saints Anglican Church
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Anglican Church of Australia
Street Address: 25 Sword St, Muttaburra QLD 4732, Australia
Suburb: Muttaburra
State: QLD
Postcode: 4732
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: 

No Foundation Stone or Memorial Plaque details are known. Information/photographs are invited.

Notice Board records: Built in 1903. - A typical church of the time when the Bush Brothers travelled throughtout the parish on foot, horseback or bicycle. - A room was always included providing accommodation for these travelling clergy.

Date Opened: 00-00-1903
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

 The All Saints Anglican Church, Muttaburra has been closely associated with the Brotherhood of St Andrews since 1897. 

"While initial services were being held in the Muttaburra Court House and on station homesteads, the desire to build a church in Muttaburra was constrantly expressed. However, extreme isolation, serere drought conditions and decilne in business in the area was to prove a constant stumbling block to such plans.

The Reverend John Aldis, who had been appointed to the Western Mission District in 1882, performed the first recorded Anglican Church Service held in Muttaburra in 1883. He also performed the first recorded christening in the area, that of Ellis Johnson Oliver at Mt Cornish on 11th November 1883...

It had been estimated that 'a fair iron building be erected for 250 [pounds].' The community, though affected by hard times, worked hard to gather such resources. Mr Richard Lloyd of 'Blue Gate' appealed to his son-in-law's family in Wales and Mr A Gilbertson of Pontardawe who owned an iron and tin plate foundry. very generously promised all the iron required to complete the whole building.

In 1902, Mr A C Cooper MLA of 'Weewondilla', offered to supply the 100 [pounds] required to complete the church as a gesture to the memory of his parents, who had recently died in Sligo, Ireland..." (Extract from: Anglican Church - All Saints Church - Muttaburra by Helen Marsh - https://www.muttaburra.com/historic-sites/anglican-church-all-saints-church-muttaburra/ )

Built in 1903, as recorded on the notice board. More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 7/11/2020.

Last Updated: Saturday 7th November, 2020
ADVANCED SEARCH