A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

Hazeldean Union Church - Former
Hazeldean Union Church - Former 22-05-2017 - John Huth, Wilston, Brisbane
Hazeldean Union Church - Former 22-05-2017 - John Huth, Wilston, Brisbane

Hazeldean Union Church - Former

Kilcoy, QLD 4515

Church Information

Church Name: Hazeldean Union Church - Former
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Other Denominations
Street Address: 39 Hope St, Kilcoy QLD 4515, Australia
Suburb: Kilcoy
State: QLD
Postcode: 4515
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: No Foundation Stone or Memorial Plaque details are known. Information/photographs are invited.
Date Opened: unknown
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org


This former church building is now privately owned. 

It had its beginings in a meeting on 9/5/1908, in the home of Mr Jas Brown, at which office bearers were elected and agreement made to lease land for a church, in an area of Hazeldean known as Kirkleagh Lane. No details of the buidling of the church or its use are known between 1909 and 1926, although payment for the timber was made on 5/7/1908.

A meeting on 10/4/1927 adopted a constitution to form the St John's Evangelical Lutheran Congregation.

In later years due to difficulty in availing the services of a Lutheran pastor, the congregation moved to worship in the Church of England form. Fund raising to line the church began in 1950 with the work completed in 1952.

At a meeting on 10/2/1957 it was agreed to relocate the church to Mary Ann Kunde's farm, due to the creation of the Somerset Dam. This was attended although the actual date of the move is not known.

At a meeting on 10/5/1966 it was agreed to disolve the Church of England committee and transfer funds to the Hazeldean Union Church Committee. This was attended, although the date when Church of England services stopped is not known.

A meeting on 26/2/1998 agreed to the building being relocated to Yowie Park at Kilcoy in response to an  expression of interest from the Kilcroy Shire Historical Society. This relocation was effected on 1/2/2001.

The last meeting of the Hazeldean Union Church Committee was held on 13/2/2001, at which time it was agreed to disband the committee.

On 17/1/2007 the building was relocated further west in Yowie Park to make way for  a swimming pool complex. It is now the home of the Kilcoy Shire Historical Society and the Craft Cottage Information Centre.

Source of information is a display within the now named "Hall of History" on the Hazeldean Union Church, compiled by John F Kunde (whose family was intimately involved with the church from the beginning) and dated 16/9/2001. Photographs uploaded 9/10/2017.

Last Updated: Tuesday 10th October, 2017