A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

Eagle Junction Uniting Church - Former
Eagle Junction Uniting Church - Former 00-02-2007 - Geoffrey Cox - ohta.org.au
Eagle Junction Uniting Church - Former - Hall left/Church right 00-09-2020 - Google Maps - google.com.au

Eagle Junction Uniting Church - Former

Clayfield, QLD 4011

Church Information

Church Name: Eagle Junction Uniting Church - Former
Church Previous Name: Eagle Junction United Free Methodist Church/Eagle Junction Congregational Church
Denomination: Congregational (Fellowship and Other)
Street Address: 221 Bonney Ave, Clayfield QLD 4011, Australia
Suburb: Clayfield
State: QLD
Postcode: 4011
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: No Foundation Stone or Memorial Plaque details are known. Information/photographs are invited.
Date Opened: 00-00-1865
Date Closed: 00-00-1977
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

The former Eagle Junction Uniting Church has closed, and the properties [former church building - 221 Bonney Avenue + hall - 5 Norman Parade/next door to church)] are now privately owned. The church building was erected in 1889 for the United Free Methodist Church. The congregation had previously worshipped from 1865, in a weatherboard building, on the site of the Eagle Junction Railway Station. This building was moved to the back of the new property at 221 Bonney Avenue, and used by the Sunday School. When the four branches of Methodism united in 1901, the Eagle Junction United Free Methodist congregation withheld its consent, and became a Congregational Church. Its Minister, Rev W Osborne Lilley, FRHS, opposed his congregation’s decision but another Free Methodist Minister, also declining the union, Rev Edward Brown, was called to become the first minister of Eagle Junction Congregational Church. In December 1924 a new Sunday School Hall was erected/opened at 5 Norman Parade. In 1975 the Eagle Junction Congregational Church joined with the Wooloowin Methodist Church, 170 Bonney Avenue, to become the Bonney Avenue Cooperative Parish. After the formation of the Uniting Church in 1977, the Eagle Junction Congregational congregation and the Wooloowin Methodist congregation joined as the Claytfield Uniting Church, at 170 Bonney Avenue, and the 221 Bonney Avenue and 5 Nornam Parade properties were subsequently sold. More historical information/photographs of this former church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 1/3/2017 & 17/5/2021..
Last Updated: Wednesday 19th May, 2021
ADVANCED SEARCH