A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

City Congregational Church - Hall
City Congregational Church - Hall - Opening Ceremony 14-01-1928 - Supplied by Noel Adsett - St Andrew's Uniting Archives

City Congregational Church, Adelaide Street - Former

Brisbane City, QLD 4000

Church Information

Church Name: City Congregational Church, Adelaide Street - Former
Church Previous Name: Wharf Street Congregational Church
Denomination: Congregational (Fellowship and Other)
Street Address: 391 Adelaide St, Brisbane City QLD 4000, Australia
Suburb: Brisbane City
State: QLD
Postcode: 4000
Foundation Stone Laid: 30-04-1927
Foundation Stone Notes: 

The foundation stone was laid by Miss M H Griffith LG and the minister, Rev Percival Watson MA. The text on the foundation stone is not known. Information/photographs are invited.


Date Opened: 14-01-1928
Date Closed: 04-01-1942
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org


The former City Congregational Church, Adelaide Street, Brisbane property, is now privately owned. It had been intended to first build the church hall, while funds were raised for the church, but only the hall was ever built. The name 'City Congregational Church' was officially recognised in the Government Gazette in 1928.

The church was to be erected to replace the Wharf Street Congregational Church building, which had been sold to the Anglican church in 1925. (see separate entry). The laying of the foundation stone was the first step of an ambitious plan to build a fine church facing Queen Street, but depression and war intervened and the debt grew. The property was taken over by the Federal Department of Munitions and Supply on 5 January 1942. The congregation worshipped temporarily in the Albert Street Methodist Church before renting the former Presbyterian Church building in Wickham Terrace, which was then owned by the Railway Department. The Adelaide Street building was later used to house the Red Cross facilities and services, but was demolished about 2010.

The official opening ceremony was held on 14/1/1928, with the Deputy Lord Mayor and other denominational representatives in attendance. See photograph 2.

More historical information/photographs of the former church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 17/3/2020.

Last Updated: Tuesday 17th March, 2020