A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

Holy Rosary Catholic Church
Holy Rosary Catholic Church 23-02-2018 - John Huth, Wilston, Brisbane
Holt Rosary Catholic Church 23-02-2018 - John Huth, Wilston, Brisbane

Holy Rosary Catholic Church

Bundaberg Central, QLD 4670

Church Information

Church Name: Holy Rosary Catholic Church
Church Previous Name: St Mary's of the Holy Rosary Catholic Church
Denomination: Catholic Church in Australia
Street Address: 66 Woongarra St, Bundaberg Central QLD 4670, Australia
Suburb: Bundaberg Central
State: QLD
Postcode: 4670
Foundation Stone Laid: 10-10-1886
Foundation Stone Notes: 

The text of the foundation stone is not known. Information/photographs are invited.

A tablet records: To Commemorate - 125 years of worship - in Holy Rosary Church - 13 May 1888 ~ 13 May 2013 - Blessed by - The Very Reverend John F Grace, - Diocesan Administrator - 24 November 2013.

A plaque records: In appreciation to - J P Linnane who presented - this honour board. - Also in recognition to Jack - for his services to - Holy Rosary Parish - over many years. (The Honour Role contains the names of Administrators - Parish Priests - Assistants - Since 1876).

A plaque records: Historic Site - St Mary's of the - Holy Rosary - Built 1888 - The first Catholic mass was celebrated in the dining room - of Adam's Metropolitan Hotel in April 1875 - The first church built in Bundaberg, a small wooden - building erected at the rear of this site, was opened on 3rd - October 1875 by Rev Fr O'Brien of Maryborough. Cost of  500 {pounds}. - The foundation stone of the main nave of the Holy - Rosary Church was laid on 10th October 1886 by Bishop - Dunne of Brisbane. Consecrated on Sunday 13th May, 1888 - ... First Parish - Priest Rev Fr Constantine Rossolini December 1876. - In 1925, the eastern end of the building was demolished - and two new transepts and sanctuary were added.  Architect Mr F H Faircloth. The foundation stone was laid - by Archbishop Duhig on 21st June 1925. The church was - rededicated on May 16th 1926 and opened by Fr M Daldwin - on October 24 1926 - Substantial renovations were carried out to mark the - centenary of The Holy Rosary Church in 1988.



Date Opened: 13-05-1888
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org


"In the 1870s, the Catholic population was served by priests travelling from Maryborough. Father Thomas O’Brien celebrated the first Mass in Walter Adams Hotel, the Metropolitan, known then as Adams Hotel. On October 3, 1875, he was present to officiate at the opening of the small wooden church, the Church of St Mary of the Holy Rosary (which came to be known as Holy Rosary Church)...

By the end of the 1870s, the small wooden church of Saint Mary of the Holy Rosary was proving to be inadequate for the needs of the congregation. A decision was made to replace it. The new church, erected in 1888, was designed by Francis Stanley..." (Extract Church Website:https://bundabergcatholic.net.au/?page_id=14 ).

No other details are known. More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 28/4/2018.


Last Updated: Sunday 15th July, 2018