A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

St John's Lutheran Church
St John's Lutheran Church 23-02-2018 - John Huth, Wilston, Brisbane
St John's Lutheran Church 23-02-2018 - John Huth, Wilston, Brisbane

St John's Lutheran Church

Bundaberg South, QLD 4670

Church Information

Church Name: St John's Lutheran Church
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Lutheran
Street Address: 30 George St, Bundaberg South QLD 4670, Australia
Suburb: Bundaberg South
State: QLD
Postcode: 4670
Foundation Stone Laid: 24-05-1958
Foundation Stone Notes: 

Foundation stone records: This stone was laid on 24th May 1958 by - (unable to read name) President U E L C A Qld Dist. - Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus - throughtout all ages, world without end. Amen - Eph 3:21.  [missing details invited].

A stone tablet records: In memory of - Emilie Lovgreen - whose generous gift - made this tower possible - 'Thanks be to God'.


Date Opened: 00-00-1960
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org


"St John's Lutheran Church, completed in 1960, was designed by architect, Dr Karl Langer as the primary Lutheran church for the Bundaberg community. It is used regularly by the congregation and the adjacent Lutheran school. Tenders for the construction of the new St John's Lutheran Church, Bundaberg were called in 1957 and a tender of £35,140 from Brisbane-based J Hutchinson and Sons was accepted. A ground breaking ceremony took place 19 January 1958. A large portion of the work was carried out by volunteer church members including digging the foundations by hand, carting bricks, tiles, sand, and gravel, mixing and pouring concrete, and donating and milling timber. Construction was completed in 1960 with the total cost at £61,000 including the organ, pews, and all furnishings. A dedication service, led by the Queensland District President FH Schmidt, was witnessed by 1,400 worshippers on 3 April 1960. The church is prominent within the low-scale surrounding development and remains a landmark within the area. The flat plane of the front of the church becomes an open bible, with verses on in two foot high white cement letters on a grey background: “God so loved the world…” (John IV, 11-12). The church has been in continuous use since construction and has seen baptisms, marriages, funeral services and regular worship services for generations of Lutherans."

Taken from https://www.facebook.com/groups/OldAustralianChurchesAlbum/   Many more photographs are also included here.

More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 26/4/2018.


Last Updated: Wednesday 15th September, 2021