A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

Mittagong Uniting Church
Mittagong Uniting Church 28-06-2019 - Peter Liebeskind

Mittagong Uniting Church

Mittagong, NSW 2575

Church Information

Church Name: Mittagong Uniting Church
Church Previous Name: Mittagong Wesleyan Methodist Church/Mittagong Methodist Church
Denomination: Uniting Church in Australia
Street Address: 1-7 Albert St, Mittagong NSW 2575, Australia
Suburb: Mittagong
State: NSW
Postcode: 2575
Foundation Stone Laid: 24-05-1865
Foundation Stone Notes: 

A stone tablet in the gable records: Wesleyan - Church - A D 1865.

A heritage plaque records: The Uniting Church - In March 1865, the Fitz Roy Iron Works Company established a school for its employees children and church families in its pattern shop. - Robert Morris, the schoolteacher, resided at the works' on-site boarding house. - The company donated this acre of land to the Wesleyan Church to promote public education and worship.- On May 24, 1865, Ebenezer Vickery, chairman of the company, and also a Wesleyan, laid the foundation stone in the presence of Reverend George Lane, the first Wesleyan minister appointed to the Berrima Circuit. The Governor of New South Wales, Sir John Young, also witnessed this event. - Manager of the ironworks, Joseph Kaye Hampshire, designed the church, and Robert Snowden, a local brickmaker who was contracted to the ironworks, built the church, which cost 1,000 [pounds]. - The ironworks' employees manufactured the iron beams and trusses that support the roof and wall structures. - In May 1865, when the ironworks commenced full production, the school students relocated to a large stone building here. Morris, who was also a preacher, lived in three rooms at the rear of the Church. - On March 11, 1866, the first official Divine Service was celebrated in the church. - Church authorities subsidised the New Sheffield Public School and gave free accommodation for ten years. - In 1875, Reverend William Hughes requested that the Council of Education pay rent for the use of the premises. In 1877, the Council of Education commissioned the erection of a purpose-built school in Queen Street (now the Mittagong Library). - Despite some renovation, the footprint of the original church has remained intact. - Through amalgamation, the church has changed from Wesleyan (1865-1902), to Methodist (1902-1977), to Uniting (from 1977), and has continuously provided a place of worship and fellowship to support the original objectives of the Fitz Roy Iron Works Company. 

Date Opened: 11-03-1866
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org


The Mittagong Uniting Church is part of the Illawarra Presbytery and the Uniting Church Synod of NSW & ACT. The church building was opened on 11/3/1866. No other details are known. More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 6/7/2019 & 12/3/2023.

Note: Photograph attribution/source - By TrimmerinWiki - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=112604059
Last Updated: Sunday 12th March, 2023