A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

St Brigid's Catholic Church
St Brigid's Catholic Church 13-07-2002 - Alan Patterson
St Brigid's Catholic Church 29-05-2018 - Church Website - See Note.

St Brigid's Catholic Church

Millers Point, NSW 2000

Church Information

Church Name: St Brigid's Catholic Church
Church Previous Name: St Bridget's Catholic Church
Denomination: Catholic Church in Australia
Street Address: 14-16 Kent St, Millers Point NSW 2000, Australia
Suburb: Millers Point
State: NSW
Postcode: 2000
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: No Foundation Stone or Memorial Plaque details are known. Information/photographs are invited.
Date Opened: unknown
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org


"Situated in Kent Street, Millers Point, in Sydney’s historic Rocks precinct, St Brigid’s is the oldest surviving place of Catholic worship in Australia.

Governor Richard Bourke approved the site and building plan in 1833: “for a Roman Catholic School House, to be occasionally used as a Chapel”. The application for a land grant and school building was made on behalf of the Catholic community by Rev William B.Ullathorne OSB, Prefect Apostolic of Australia. This was two years before the arrival of Australia’s first bishop, John Bede Polding OSB.

Construction commenced in 1834, using “stone which is close at hand”. The single storey building was completed in April, 1835. The completed building was handed over in May, 1835, and was put into use immediately. A partition of folding doors divided the interior in half, providing separate class-rooms for the boys and girls. On Sundays, the school doubled as a chapel for Mass. When the school was officially inspected in 1839, 76 boys were under the charge of Mr Edward Hawkely, and Mrs Mary O’Brien was the teacher for 45 girls.

In March, 1843, the Christian Brothers took over responsibility for the school, and St Bridget’s (as the spelling was then) became an all-boys’ school under Brother Francis Larkin. A government inspection at that time gave high praise to the school, but after differences with Archbishop Polding over their right to recruit novices, the brothers withdrew from Sydney and returned to Ireland in 1847. Lay teachers again ran the school...

In 1933 an upper storey was added to St Bridget’s, and at that time the present spelling (St Brigid’s) came to be adopted. Father Daniel Hurley SM was the parish priest. The upper storey construction allowed the original ground floor building to be used exclusively as a chapel...

St Brigid’s celebrated its sesquicentenary (150 years) in 1985. Only seven years later, in 1992, the school closed because of falling enrolments, but Mass continues to be held at St Brigid’s each Sunday." (Church Website: http://stpatschurchhill.org/st-brigids-beginning/)

No other details are known about St Brigid's Catholic Church. More historical information/photograohs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 29/5/2018.

Note: Photograph source - http://stpatschurchhill.org/st-brigids-church-inside/

Last Updated: Tuesday 29th May, 2018