A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

Gunbar Uniting Church
Gunbar Uniting Church 20-05-2021 - Derek Flannery
Gunbar Uniting Church 20-05-2021 - Derek Flannery

Gunbar Uniting Church

Gunbar, NSW 2711

Church Information

Church Name: Gunbar Uniting Church
Church Previous Name: Gunbar Pioneer Memorial Presbyterian Church/Gunbar Pioneer Memorial Uniting Church
Denomination: Uniting Church in Australia
Street Address: King St, Gunbar NSW 2711, Australia
Suburb: Gunbar
State: NSW
Postcode: 2711
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: 

No Foundation Stone details are kown for the first church building opened on 4/7/1884.

The foundation stone for the present building was lais on 25/4/1934 by Mrs Donald McDonald, the oldest resident foundation member. The text on the foundation stone is not known. Information/photographs are invited.

A plaque records: Gunbar Church Centenary 1884 - 1984 To the Glory of God and to commemorate 100 years of dedication and worship. 1st July 1984

Heritage plaque records: 'Gunbar Pioneer Memorial Church - John Gilbert and his Family selected land in the Gunbar District in 1875, taking up 640 acres and this being the beginning of many early pioneer families to select land and settle at Gunbar. - The early settlers held church services in the Gunbar Hotel dining room. The Protestants decided to build a church. The first church was built north of the present church. Later it was found to be low lying swamp country and the church was moved from there to higher ground. - The church with added vestry and porch, lined with dressed pine and varnished cost 160 pounds and was opened free of debt with voluntary labour and donations from Pioneer Families. - The church was Presbyterian with services conducted monthly with families arriving by buggy or on horseback. Lunch was held under the old pine tree in the church yard, where a four gallon Kerosene bucket of water was boiled for morning tea. - The church continues on through tough and good times having ministers from Hay and Hillston. As time passed by the Hillston Gunbar Parish was formed. - In December 1933, it was suggested as that the church jubilee was the following year, and it would be apropriate to celebrate by building a new church. Committees were formed and the present day church of classical design was built of cement bricks made from local sand obtained adjacent to the church. Again members gave voluntarily of their time assisting the building contractors, the Shannon Brothers from Victoria. The building costing 800 pounds. Local families donated the interior furnishings in memory of Pioneers. The eight beautiful stained glass windows depict the Pioneer Families. - The new church was opened in July 1934. The church became a Uniting Church in 1974 and we have special permission for it to be used by all denominations for weddings, baptisms and funeral services. - The Gunbar community attend the church and support the work of the church. Many descendents of the pioneer families are still residing in the district. In 1984 Gunbar celebrated the centenary of the church, holding a service with 1,000 people returning to share the day and renew their family history....In 2004 the community celebrated the 120th Anniversary of dedicated worship in the Gunbar Pioneer Memorial Church....

Date Opened: 04-07-1884
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org


The Gunbar Uniting Church is now part of the Hillston and Gunbar Multi-Centred Congregation in the Riverina Presbytery and the Sydnod of NSW & ACT. It was opened on 18/7/1934 (having been postponed from 4/7/1934, due to bad weather). It replaced the first church building opened on  4/7/1884 by the Rev Samuel A Hamilton. More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 14/8/2021.

Last Updated: Saturday 14th August, 2021