A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

St James Church - Former
St James Church - Former 00-00-2021 - Derek Flannery
St James Church - Former 00-00-2021 - Derek Flannery

St James Church - Former

Griffith, NSW 2680

Church Information

Church Name: St James Church - Former
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Non-denominational
Street Address: Remembrance Dr, Griffith NSW 2680, Australia
Suburb: Griffith
State: NSW
Postcode: 2680
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: 

No Foundation Stone or Memorial Plaque details are known. Information/photographs are invited.

A notice on the building records: St James Church - The Oldest Church in the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area - 1907 Built at The Cliffs between Yoogali & Bilbul - 1913 Moved to Hanwood where it became The Church Centre for Pioneer Irrigation Area Settlers including those at Bagtown - 1971 Closed & Relocated to Pioneer Park Museum. It is still used for weddings & occasional services.

Date Opened: 00-00-1907
Date Closed: 00-00-1971
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org


The former St James Church, is now located in the Griffith Pioneer Park Museum, Remembrane Drive, and was the oldest church in the Murrumbidgee Area.

The St James Church building was erected for multi-denominational use in 1907. It was originally located on the north-west side of the Griffith-Yenda Road, between Yoogali and Bilbul, on a property known as 'The Cliffs', about 10 kms from the Museum. In 1913 the Water Conservation and Irrigation Commission acquired the land it was on for the irrigation scheme, and it was moved. Using traction engines and two bullock teams, the St James Church building was moved to Hanwood, where it was used as an Anglican Church until 1971, after which it was moved to the Museum. It is still used today for weddings and occasional services. [Sourced from: https://www.griffith.nsw.gov.au/cp_themes/pioneer/our-buildings.asp].

More historical information/photographs of the former church/congregation(s) are invited. Photographs uploaded 8/7/2021.

Last Updated: Thursday 8th July, 2021