A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

Five Dock Uniting Church

Five Dock Uniting Church

Five Dock, NSW 2046

Church Information

Church Name: Five Dock Uniting Church
Church Previous Name: Five Dock Methodist Church
Denomination: Uniting Church in Australia
Street Address: 5A Garfield St, Five Dock NSW 2046
Suburb: Five Dock
State: NSW
Postcode: 2046
Foundation Stone Laid: 27-03-1866
Foundation Stone Notes: 

The foundation stone of the first church building in Lyons Road was laid on 27/3/1866 by Mrs William Wright. The stone recorded: 1866.

The foundation stones for the second church building, on the current church site, were laid on 16/7/1898 by a number of people, including Lady Renwick, Mr Sheppard, Mr W White, Mr J Wade and Rev E J Rodd. The stones recorded: Laid by - W White Esq - 16th July 1898; etc

The foundation stones for the third church building were laid in 18/2/1939. Foundation stone recorded: This stone was set - To the Glory of God - by - William C Brown Esq - 18th Feb 1939 - Rev D C Hughes....other stones were laid by the descendants of those who had laid stones in the earlier church in 1898.

Date Opened: 02-08-1866
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org


The first Methodist Church in Five Dock  was built on land donated by William Wright (see also St Alban's Anglican Church, Five Dock, entry), and opened on 2/8/1866. Due to poor attendances this church was closed and the building sold on 5/5/1883.

The second church building was opened on 2/10/1898.

The third church building was opened on 20/5/1939. The Five Dock Methodist Church became part of the Uniting Church in Australia on 22/6/1977.

The Drummoyne Uniting Church congregation joined with the Five Dock Uniting Church congregation on 5/7/1998 to share in worship and related activities. In 2003 the congregations formerly amalgamated to form the Five Dock–Drummoyne Congregation of the Uniting Church, meeting at the Five Dock church.

Major revovations were completed on the church building on 14/11/2004.

The church celebrated its 150th anniversary on the 30/31 August 2014.

More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photograph uploaded 8/9/2020.

Note: Information sourced from - 150 years of Methodist/Uniting Church Worship in Five Dock 1864 - 2014. Sourced: http://www.fddr.unitingchurch.org.au/Five%20Dock%20150th%20History%20booklet%202014.pdf

Last Updated: Tuesday 8th September, 2020