A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

Gracepoint Christian Church
Gracepoint Christian Church - Former Botany Uniting Church 21-09-2002 - Alan Patterson
Gracepoint Christian Church - Former Botany Methodist Church 03-05-1902 - The Methodist Newspaper - Supplied by Alan Patterson

Gracepoint Christian Church

Botany, NSW 2019

Church Information

Church Name: Gracepoint Christian Church
Church Previous Name: Botany Wesleyan Methodist Chapel/Botany Methodist Church/Botany Uniting Church
Denomination: Methodist (Wesleyan and Other)
Street Address: 1355 Botany Rd, Botany NSW 2019, Australia
Suburb: Botany
State: NSW
Postcode: 2019
Foundation Stone Laid: 15-02-1902
Foundation Stone Notes: 

(Daily Telegraph - 17 February 1902) NEW METHODIST CHURCH AT BOTANY. The foundation-stones of a new Methodist Church for Botany were laid on Saturday on the site of the old church, opposite the public school, in Botany Road. Four stones altogether were in evidence. and they were laid respectively by the Rev. G. Lane (President of the New South Wales and other Conferences), ex-Mayor Alderman W. Stephen, W. Pemberton, and R. J. Anderson. After the stones had been declared well and truly laid, an adjournment was made to the school-hall adjoining.

The text on the foundation stones is not known. Information/photographs are invited.

Date Opened: 13-04-1902
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

(Sydney Morning Herald - 16 April 1902) "OPENING OF A NEW METHODIST CHURCH. The new Methodist Church at Botany was opened on Sunday last".

This building replaced the first Wesleyan Methodist Chapel erected about 1854, on land donated by George Lord. A cemetery was originally located behind the church but this was removed in 1924.

The church building was gutted by a fire in 1984. It was subsequently restored although evidence of the repairs is still evident.

The building has been used by a number of churches. Commencing as Botany Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, then Botany Methodist Church it became Botany Uniting Church in 1977. Subsequently it was used by the Botany City Church and bought by the Gracepoint Christian Church in 2016.

Gracepoint was established as a church on 1st December 1932, and became Randwick Bapist Church in May 1933. In 2002 it changed its name to Gracepoint Christian Church1.

More historical information/photographs of the current and previous church(es)/congregation(s) are invited. Photographs uploaded 5/4/2018 & 23/7/2020.

Note 1:https://gracepoint.com.au/about/history/

Last Updated: Thursday 23rd July, 2020
ADVANCED SEARCH