Salvation Army Corps - Broken Hill West - Former
Salvation Army Corps - Broken Hill - Former 28-07-2004 - Derrick Jessop
Salvation Army Corps - Broken Hill - Former 00-00-1905 - Salvation Army Website - See Note.

The Salvation Army Corps - Broken Hill - Former

Broken Hill, NSW 2880

Church Information

Church Name: The Salvation Army Corps - Broken Hill - Former
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Salvation Army
Street Address: 196 Wolfram St, Broken Hill NSW 2880, Australia
Suburb: Broken Hill
State: NSW
Postcode: 2880
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: 

No Foundation Stones or Memorial Plaque details are known. Information/photographs are invited.

Date Opened: 00-00-1889
Date Closed: unknown


The first recorded meeting of The Salvation Army in Broken Hill was held on 10/1/1886. The Broken Hill Salvation Army was opened by Captain Cranwell in 1887, using Coombe's Ironmongery in Argent Street for its meetings. In 1889 the first hall was opened, at its current site, in Wolfram Street, by Colonel John Dean. Other Salvation Army Corps (churches) followed:

  • Broken Hill West (Railwaytown) in Gypsum Street, opened on 3/3/1893. A new building was opened on 18/7/1906, which was used until 1967, when the Corps joined the Wolfram Street Corps.
  • Broken Hill South, in Patton Street, opened on 3/3/1893. No other details are known.
  • Salvation Army Barracks, 623 Lane Street, opened in 1897. Used for worship until 1968 when it closed and the Corps joined Wolfram Street Corps.
  • Salvation Army Barracks, 213 Wilson Street, opened in 1900. Used for worship until 1936.

In March 1905 a new timber and iron hall was opened in Wolfram Street by Brigadier Graham. The building collapsed on 10/12/1922 during a severe storm, and was rebuilt and opened on 17/3/1923. This building was demoblished to make way for the present halls, which were opened on 20/10/1968 by Commissioner Hubert  R Scotney1.

In her book, Booth's Drum, The Salvation Army in Australia 1880-1980, Barbara Bolton writes: "By 1895, in spite of an exodus of Broken Hill miners to Western Australia, the Army was maintaining four corps (churches) in the Silver City and people were being turned away because the halls could not contain them"" Extract from Website:

More historical information/photographs of the former corps buildings/congregations are invited (also any corrections).

(See separate entry for the current Salvation Army Corps - Broken Hill - 2880).

Photographs uploaded 21/10/2018.


 Note: Photograph attribution/source -

Note 1: Information taken from - illuminate (27th Jun 2019). Chronology of churches in Broken Hill 1885-1998. In Website illuminate. Retrieved 19th Aug 2021 20:22, from

Last Updated: Thursday 19th August, 2021