Woolshed Flat Methodist Church - Former
Woolshed Flat Methodist Church - Former 03-11-2020 - Solarence - See Note.

Woolshed Flat Methodist Church - Former

Woolshed Flat, SA 5412

Church Information

Church Name: Woolshed Flat Methodist Church - Former
Church Previous Name: Woolshed Flat Wesleyan Methodist Church
Denomination: Methodist (Wesleyan and Other)
Street Address: 418 Woolshed Flat Rd, Woolshed Flat SA 5412, Australia
Suburb: Woolshed Flat
State: SA
Postcode: 5412
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: 

No Foundation Stone or Memorial Plaque details are known. Information/photographs are invited.

A plaque records: This Plaque Commemorates - 150 years of - Woolshet Flat Church - 30.8.2009

An historic plaque records: Woolshed Flat Methodist Church - The church was built on an acre of land donated by Mr James Kemp at a total cost of 63 [pounds] raised by donations. The first trustees appointed were Mr David Howard (Treasurer) and Mr George Uppill (secretary) who sadly died and was buried just two months before the opening of the church - The chapel seated up to 90 people and was built from 100 loads of sandstone from a quarry opposite the site. It opened for worship on 7 August 1859 with Rev Charles Colwill and Mr Andrew's of Penrice officiating. The last official service was conducted by Rev D G Mark on 18 April 1971.- The building at right is a Sunday School which was built by 1866 and attended by up to 40 children. It was demolished in 1946 due to deterioration caused by salt damp. - The church was listed on the Register of State Heritage Items in 1988 following restoration work by the Kemp family in preparation for a family reunion and wedding. - The Niche Wall used for cremations was unveiled by Rev L L Hunt in 1994. In 1999, the property was purchased by Woolshed Flat Church Building Incorporated and is still in use for weddings, funerals, Christmas carols and other functions. 

Date Opened: 07-08-1859
Date Closed: 18-04-1971
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org


The former Woolshed Flat Methodist Church, held its final service on 18/4/1971. A trust formed of locals and descendants of the original land donor, James Kemp, now maintian the church building and cemetery. The church was originally opened on 7/8/1859, and a Sunday School building in 1866, which also functioned as a school until 1872. The church is a great reminder of the importance of religion to the farming community of the time and its location in their midst. More historical information/photographs pof the former church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 2/11/2022.

Note: Photograph attribution/source - https://www.flickr.com/photos/82134796@N03/14316256233/in/photostream/

Note: Photograph attribution/source - By Solarence - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=95828627

Last Updated: Wednesday 2nd November, 2022