Cooma Uniting Church - Former
Cooma Uniting Church - Former 30-04-2017 - John Huth, Wilston, Brisbane.
Cooma Uniting Church - Former 30-04-2017 - John Huth, Wilston, Brisbane.

Cooma Uniting Church - Former

Cooma, NSW 2630

Church Information

Church Name: Cooma Uniting Church - Former
Church Previous Name: Cooma Wesleyan Methodist Church
Denomination: Methodist (Wesleyan and Other)
Street Address: 185 Sharp St, Cooma NSW 2630, Australia
Suburb: Cooma
State: NSW
Postcode: 2630
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: 

No Foundation Stone details for the current church are known. Information/photographs are invited. Although is is believed to have been laid by Mr W S Love the local Police Magistrate.

A church hall foundation stone records: This stone was laid by - Rev Dr F H Rayward OBE - on 31st July 1954 - Edwin Ryan ~ Minister.

A stone in recognition of the contribution of the Hawkins family to the church was laid at the same time as the church hall foundation stone, it records: This stone from "Wyville' the home - of the Late Mr & Mrs Daniel Hawkins - was set here, a tribute to over 60 - years of faithful service by them - and their family to this church. - Set 31.7.54   Dedicated 11.12.54.

A stone tablet on the building next to the church records: To the Glory of God - This stone was unveiled - by Miss D Hawkins to commemorate - the opening of the building by - Rev D F Almond, President of Conference - 14 ~ 12 ~ 1956 - Minister: Rev A J Amery L Th., Dip R E.

A plaque records: Hawkins Memorial Centre - Dedicated to the glory of God in recognition of the - devoted service of the Hawkins family to the - Methodist Church on the Monaro during the last - century - Dedicated by the Rev Keith L Doust L Th - Secretary of Canberra Presbytery - The Uniting Church in Australia - 5 November 1977 - Ministers - Rev G Treuren     Rev J Newman MAIW

Date Opened: 00-00-1889
Date Closed: 00-00-1977


The former Cooma Uniting Church has now closed. The first Wesleyan Church erected in Cooma was a small wooden structure built about 1882. The present church building was completed about 1889. The Cooma Methodist Church became part of the Uniting Church in June 1977. Its name was changed to the Hawkins Memorial Centre in November 1977, recognising its changed function and the contribution of the Hawkins family over many decades. No other details are known. More historical information/photographs of the former church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 6/9/2017

Last Updated: Thursday 31st March, 2022