Good Shepherd Chapel
Good Shepherd Chapel 01-05-2018 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria
Good Shepherd Chapel 01-05-2018 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria

Good Shepherd Chapel

Abbotsford, VIC 3067

Church Information

Church Name: Good Shepherd Chapel
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Catholic Church in Australia
Street Address: St Heliers St, Abbotsford VIC 3067, Australia
Suburb: Abbotsford
State: VIC
Postcode: 3067
Foundation Stone Laid: 00-00-1870
Foundation Stone Notes: 

The foundation stone was laid in 1870, but the text of the Foundation Stone is not known. Information/photographs are invited.

A stone records: This memorial stone - completing this wing of the church - in memory of the deceased - benefactors of the Convent - was laid on the Feast of - Saint Mary Magdalen - 22nd July 1897 - by the Most Revd T J Carr DD - Archbishiop of Melbourne.

A tablet inside the chapel records: Vive Jesus Et Marie - Pray for the Soul - of Sister - Mary of St Joseph Doyle - First Superioress and Foundress - of the Convent of Our Lady of Charity, - of - The Good Shepherd, - at - Abbotsford - who died the 13th day of June 1869, - in the 34th year of her age - and the tenth - of her religious profession. - Requiescat in Pace.

Date Opened: 30-04-1871
Date Closed: unknown


"The Abbotsford Convent was officially opened on 25 August 1863 and the Good Shepherd community began to grow. 

Following the death of Mother Mary of Saint Joseph Doyle in 1869, the foundress of Good Shepherd in Australia, a group of lay supporters of the Convent raised money amongst themselves for a marble tablet to honour her memory. They raised more money than expected and the idea of a mortuary chapel was suggested.

What was really needed was a church to accommodate the large community of Sisters and all the women and girls living at the Convent. The Bishop and Catholic community raised further funds to build a church, which would serve as a memorial to Mother Mary of Saint Joseph and the other Sisters who had died." (Extract: Church Website-

The church was opened on 30/4/1871. For further history and photographs refer to the church website. Photographs uploaded 7/5/2018.


Last Updated: Monday 7th May, 2018