St Michael's Catholic Church - Former
St Michael's Catholic Church - Former 23-11-2023 - Derek Flannery
St Michael's Catholic Church - Former 11-12-2010 -

St Michael's Catholic Church - Former

Beeac, VIC 3251

Church Information

Church Name: St Michael's Catholic Church - Former
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Catholic Church in Australia
Street Address: 110 Main St, Beeac VIC 3251, Australia
Suburb: Beeac
State: VIC
Postcode: 3251
Foundation Stone Laid: 22-06-1924
Foundation Stone Notes: 

A stone records: This Stone was Blessed by the Most Reverend Daniel Foley DD Bishop of Ballarat. June 22nd 1924 - Rev P Kennelly Pastor - A A Fritsch Architect - Searle & Wallace Builders

Information panel on fence records: The original Catholic Church built in 1867 (pictured above) was located about 200 metres to the south of this building on the opposite side of the road. A school was opened in the church building on February 10, 1922. - Soon after it was decided to build this new church. The first Mass was celebrated on December 14, 1924. The design is English Gothic of the decorative period and its special feature is the nave lit by magnificent tracery (ornate) windows. It was designed by Mr A Fritsch FRVA and built by Messers Searle and Wallace Builders of Colac, at a cost of £4,063.0.0. Donations and fundraising by parishoners completely paid for the building in one year. - The church served its congregation until the closing Mass which was celebrated on November 22, 2009 with over 300 people in attendance. A shortage of Priests, high maintenance led to the closing of the church. It was sold in December 2010.

Date Opened: 14-12-1924
Date Closed: 22-11-2009


The former St Michael's Catholic Church held its final Mass on 22/11/2009, and the property has been sold (2010). The church was part of the Parish of Colac and the Diocese of Ballarat. The first Mass was celebrated in the present building on 14/12/1924, replacing an earlier structure erected in 1867. More historical information/photographs of the former church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 9/1/2024.
Last Updated: Tuesday 9th January, 2024