Salem Baptist Church
Salem Baptist Church 03-01-2016 - Jeff Noble
Salem Baptist Church  00-00-1899 - Church Website - See Note.

Salem Baptist Church

Gumeracha, SA 5233

Church Information

Church Name: Salem Baptist Church
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Baptist
Street Address: 30 Victoria St, Gumeracha SA 5233, Australia
Suburb: Gumeracha
State: SA
Postcode: 5233
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: 

No Foundation Stone or Memorial Plaque details are known. Information/photographs are invited.

A heritage plaque records: Salem Baptist Church - (1843) - Founded in 1843, church services were initially held at the Randell's farm estate. The first part of the church was built in 1845 on land donated by William Beavis Randell - The building was officially opened in February 1846, with inaugural service conducted by Pastor Thomas Playford, great grandfather of former Premier, the Honourable Tom Playford. - The church was formally constituted on 19th May, 1850. Baptism services were carried out at the natural spring in the Ring of Oaks, opposite the church, until 1899.

A plaque on a cairn records: Ring of Oaks - Baptistry - The Ring of Oaks surrounds the site of the 19th century pool used by Salem Baptist Church for baptism of new believers. The spring which fed the pool was stopped by earthquake in 1899. The pool was then filled in and the area used for tea meetings.

Date Opened: 00-02-1846
Date Closed: unknown


The Salem Baptist Church, Gumeracha is the oldest Baptist church in South Australia that has been continuously used for worship. The church is a member of The Baptist Churches of South Australia & Northern Territory. It was built on land donated by William Beavis Randell, and opened in February 1846. Before the church building was erected, services were held on the Randell farm estate. Over the years many additions and improvements have been carried out on the original building.  A cemetery is located behind the church building. More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 8/10/2020 & 26/2/2024.



Note: Photograph atribution/source -
Last Updated: Monday 26th February, 2024