St James Anglican Church
St James Anglican Church 09-07-2021 - Derek Flannery
St James Anglican Church 22-04-2017 - Bahnfrend - See Note

St James Anglican Church

Wilcannia, NSW 2836

Church Information

Church Name: St James Anglican Church
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Anglican Church of Australia
Street Address: 80 Woore St, Wilcannia NSW 2836, Australia
Suburb: Wilcannia
State: NSW
Postcode: 2836
Foundation Stone Laid: 00-10-1875
Foundation Stone Notes: 

Laid October 1875. (Could not find it). It was laid by the Bishop Marsden of Bathurst. Information/photographs are invited.

Heritage plaque records: St James Anglican Church - The early clergy of Wilcannia did not always have this beautiful sandstone church to preach in, nor did they have the convenience of only serving one community. Indeed they were just as concerned with ministering to individuals on remote stations. The parish included Tibooburra, Menindee, White Cliffs and Ivanhoe. - The Rev F Boyce, the first clergyman to visit Wilcannia in 1874, came on horseback from Molong, a trip of 3200 kilometres. During this visit the community subscribed moneys for the construction of a church. No less than 385 pounds was raised by those present. The foundation stone was laid in October 1875 and the church was completed in 1883. - With a round trip of the parish being nearly 5000 kilometres, coping with travel in the bush was part of the job. The means of transport varied with the times and the nature of the clergyman. In 1884, the Rev George Oakes made his journeys by horse and sulky. In 1888, the Rev W Ellis was allowed a 50% discount by Cobb and Co and, in the early 1900s, the Rev J Rawlings covered over 40,000 kilometres, including three trips to Hay!. - The Rev Hugh Lutton commenced in 1911 and served the parish travelling on his motorcycle as far as the Queensland border. In 1920, the Rev Fred Harvey terrified passengers on his motorcycle and sidecar. Probably the most famous was Australia's first flying padre, the Rev Len Daniels, who raised money in England for a Cirrus Moth aeroplane in 1928.

Date Opened: 25-03-1883
Date Closed: unknown


The St James Anglican Church, Wilcannia is part of the Parish of Broken Hill and Far West and the Diocese of Riverina. The first resident minister, the Rev E H Wright held his first service on an Easter Sunday, 1875, in the Wilcannia Hotel. Subsequent services were held in the Court House until the church building was completed. The church building was consecrated by Bishop Marsden of Bathurst, on Easter Sunday in 1883. It is believed that the stained galss windows and interior fittings had not arrived from Melbourne in time for the consecration. The church is still shown as functioning on the Diocese website. More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 6/8/2021.

Note: Photograph attribution/source - By Bahnfrend - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0,
Last Updated: Friday 6th August, 2021