Picton Anglican Church
Picton Anglican Church 22-07-2019 - Peter Liebeskind

Picton Anglican Church

Picton, NSW 2571

Church Information

Church Name: Picton Anglican Church
Church Previous Name: St Mark's Anglican Church
Denomination: Anglican Church of Australia
Street Address: 7 Menangle St W, Picton NSW 2571, Australia
Suburb: Picton
State: NSW
Postcode: 2571
Foundation Stone Laid: 16-07-1850
Foundation Stone Notes: 

Foundation stone records: This the foundation stone of - St Mark's Church, Picton - was laid by the Rev Edward Rogers - Minister of the Parish - on the 16th day of July AD 1850 - J M Antill, J Templeton, T Larkin, J Crispe ~ Building Committee.

A heritage plaque records: 1856 - St Mark's - Church of England, Picton. - The first Anglican services were held in 1825 at the home of Major Antill, one of the first European settlers in the Picton area. When a small court house was built on the Major's property (he was the Police Magistrate, and the family served the local court for three generations), services were held there. - The local rector was the Reverend Thomas Hassell of Denbigh, Cobbity, and his parish stretched to Goulburn, across to Wollongong and south to Mulgoa. In 1839 the Reverend Frederick Wilkinson had a smaller area to cover, from his house at the Hermitage, The Oaks. Next came the Reverend Edward Rogers from 1848, and by now money was being raised to build a church on land donated by the Antill family, in Menangle Street West. - The foundatiuon stone was laid in July 1850, the church being designed by Edmund Blacket, with Thomas Smith, G Wandess and Barnsdale as masons. T Cashman and John Iceton as carpenters. Whitfield doing the iron work, painting by W Brown and fencing by Abel Sant and Rosette. - Unfortunately the work went very slowly, as the gold rushes affected the supply of labour, and it was not completed until 1856. - The original church was tiny, and as the town grew in the 1860s with the arrival of the railway line, so the nave was extended 12 feet, and a vestry was added. Then in 1886 Blacket's sons, Cyril and Arthur, designed the transepts which provided even more room. The original wooden shingles were replaced with slate in 1904, and then by tiles in 1930. Oil lamps were used for lighting until 1922, when electricity was connected. - The earliest burials in the graveyard date from 1858, though severe flooding in the 1860s and later has affected those graves closest to Stonequarry Creek, as well as the church. Levy banks provide some protection now. - A list of rectors follows -...

Date Opened: 00-00-1856
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org


The Picton Anglican Church operates jointly with the Wilton Anglican Church in service in the community. The church building was completed about 1856, being delayed due to labour shortages occasioned by the gold rush. It was consecreated in 1885 by Bishop Barry. The building, its furnishings, and the organ were badly impacted by the 2016 floods, together with the pioneer cemetery. It has now been restored. More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs upladed 25/5/2021.
Last Updated: Tuesday 25th May, 2021