St John's Anglican Cathedral Church
St John's Anglican Cathedral Church 18-05-2019 - Peter Liebeskind
St John's Anglican Cathedral Church 08-03-2014 - Peter Liebeskind

St John's Anglican Cathedral Church

Parramatta, NSW 2150

Church Information

Church Name: St John's Anglican Cathedral Church
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Anglican Church of Australia
Street Address: 195 Church St, Parramatta NSW 2150, Australia
Suburb: Parramatta
State: NSW
Postcode: 2150
Foundation Stone Laid: 12-01-1799
Foundation Stone Notes: 

Found during renovations in 1852  a copper sheet in Latin which translates: 'The foundation stone of this church was laid Anno Domini 1799, during the Governorship of John Hunter, George III, King of England, has reigned 38 years'.

Foundation stone for the nave and chancel was laid by Bishop William Broughton on 11/8/1952, at which time the name of the church was designated as the Church of St John the Evangelist.

Foundation stone for the two transepts was laid on 24/4/1883.




Date Opened: 10-04-1803
Date Closed: unknown


The present St John's Anglican Cathedral Church, Parramatta building was built in three key stages, the two towers in 1817-19, nave and chancel in 1852-55 and the two transepts in 1883. It has however, been the subject of many alterantions and renovations over the years.

An earlier building had existed as the first service in St John's was conducted by the Rev Samuel Marsden on Easter Day (10/4) 1803.

The first Christian service in Parramatta is recored as being conducted by the Rev Richard Johnson on 28/12/1788.

More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 28/12/2020.

Last Updated: Monday 28th December, 2020