St Laurence Anglican Church
St Laurence Anglican Church 24-01-2020 - John Huth, Wilston, Brisbane
St Laurence Anglican Church 24-01-2020 - John Huth, Wilston, Brisbane

St Laurence Anglican Church

Kandos, NSW 2848

Church Information

Church Name: St Laurence Anglican Church
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Anglican Church of Australia
Street Address: Angus Ave & Jaques St, Kandos NSW 2848, Australia
Suburb: Kandos
State: NSW
Postcode: 2848
Foundation Stone Laid: 05-03-1921
Foundation Stone Notes: 

Foundation stone records: This stone was laid by - The Right Reverend George Merrick Long DD - Bishop of Bathurst - 5th March 1921.

A plaque records: St Laurence Church - Garden restoration by - Jack Charles, in memory - of his wife Anne, who both - devoted many years to the church and its surrounds. - To the Glory of God - 2010.

An historic plaque records: St Laurence's Church of England ~ 1921 - In the early years, Anglican services in Kandos were held under a tree or in a tent, later in private houses, business premises, and the Angus Memorial Hall. - With great pride the Anglican community shared the first service at St Laurence's on Christmas Day 1921, conducted by Rev J S Beasley. - Mr Hunter White of  'Havilah' Mudgee gave four blocks of land in Rogers Street. However land donated by Mr and Mrs Dangar of 'Rookwood' Singleton was chosen as the church site. - This simple, charming gothic church, with its rough-hewn sandstone and corrugated iron roof, evolved over decades. The nave and chancel were finished in local stone in 1921, the rectory in 1925, and in 1939, the belfry and a St Mary bell, weighing 4 hundredweight. - In 1984 the temporary fibro entrance porch was replaced in local sandstone. When the Windamere Dam was built in the 1970s the cedar doors and sandstone for the fence were retrieved from Cudgegong Church of St James.

Date Opened: 25-12-1921
Date Closed: unknown


The St Laurence Anglican Church, Kandos held its first service on Christmas Day 1921, although it was not formally dedicated until 5/3/1922 by Bishop Long. More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 31/3/2020 11/5/2021.
Last Updated: Tuesday 11th May, 2021