St Aidan's Anglican Church
St Aidan's Anglican Church 26-01-2020 - John Huth, Wilston, Brisbane
St Aidan's Anglican Church 26-01-2020 - John Huth, Wilston, Brisbane

St Aidan's Anglican Church

Blackheath, NSW 2785

Church Information

Church Name: St Aidan's Anglican Church
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Anglican Church of Australia
Street Address: 2 Hat Hill Rd, Blackheath NSW 2785, Australia
Suburb: Blackheath
State: NSW
Postcode: 2785
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: 

No Foundation Stone or Memorial Plaque details are known. Information/photographs are invited.

A plaque records: To the Glory of God & in memory of - The Most Revd William Saumarez Smith DD - Bishop of this Diocese 1890 ~ 1909 - Archbishop of Sydney 1897 ~ 1909 - Erected by Mrs Board Marshall.

Date Opened: 06-12-1884
Date Closed: unknown


The St Aidan's Anglican Church, Blackheath. "The Anglican Church in Blackheath was allotted its present site from the 1878 land survey. It was a number of years, however, before the land was used. It seems that services were conducted as early as 1877 by Canon King in a building opposite the old Ivanhoe Hotel in Govetts Leap Road. About 1889 the curate-in-charge, the Rev Edward Symonds began his ministry in Blackheath. The rectory was built about 1880 and Mr Symonds held services in the large front room, which originally ran the length of the house...By touring the country Edward Symonds became a familiar figure with his buggy and pair, giving lectures with lantern slides of views of the Blue Mountains. Mr Symonds collected sufficient money to build the original church, which was consecrated on 6 December 1884, presumably by the Bishop of Sydney, the Right Rev Alfred Barry.

St Aidan's became the centre of the conventional district of Blackheath with Katoomba. Except for a period in England, 1885~1888...Mr Symonds continued until 1890 as the first curate-in-charge... Blackheath township appears to have experienvced a period of quiet struggle until the mid-1890s when the village began to grow significantly with the discovery of the area as a desirable holiday centre. This led to the addition of the the north aisle to the church..and about three years later, Mr A G Woodhaed was engaged to construct the south aisle, completed in 1901...The enlarged church was dedicated by Bishop Saumarez Smith in 1902, the carved oak pulpit being dedicated as a memorial on the occasion...A new parish hall opposite the church was dedicated and opened on 11 July 1959 and the extensions were completed in 1990." (extract from booklet - St Aidan's, Blackheath - Rector ~ Rev Tim McIver) .

More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photograph uploaded 26/10/2019 & 16/3/2020.

Last Updated: Monday 16th March, 2020