St Oswald's Anglican Church - Former
St Oswald's Anglican Church - Former 12-07-2018 - John Huth, Wilston, Brisbane
St Oswald's Anglican Church - Former 00-12-2021 -

St Oswald's Anglican Church - Former

Broken Head, NSW 2481

Church Information

Church Name: St Oswald's Anglican Church - Former
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Anglican Church of Australia
Street Address: 521 Broken Head Rd, Broken Head NSW 2481, Australia
Suburb: Broken Head
State: NSW
Postcode: 2481
Foundation Stone Laid: 00-00-1921
Foundation Stone Notes: 

The foundation stone was laid in 1921. The text on the foundation stone is not known. Information/photographs are invited.

A plaque records: To the Glory of God - and in memory of - our son - Arthur Beaumont Goard - Killed in Belgium Oct 4th 1917 - Presented by his Father & Mother.

Date Opened: 00-00-1922
Date Closed: 04-06-2021


The former St Oswald's Anglican Church, Broken Head was part of the Parish of Byron Bay and the Diocese of Grafton. The church is now closed, and the property was sold in 2021. The church building has been used as a place of worship for nealy 100 years, having been built/opened in 1922. It was erected on land donated by Mr Goard, in memory of his son who was killed in 1917. Corporal Goard left a bequest of 50 [pounds] which formed the start of the church building fund. The final thanksgiving service was held on 4/6/2021. No other details are known. More historical information/photographs of the former church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 19/11/2018 & 19/12/2021.

Text updated 14/5/2021 based on email from Kathryn Reilly.

Last Updated: Thursday 7th December, 2023