St Paul's Anglican Church
St Paul's Anglican Church 12-01-2018 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria
St Paul's Anglican Church 12-01-2018 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria

St Paul's Anglican Church

Camperdown, VIC 3260

Church Information

Church Name: St Paul's Anglican Church
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Anglican Church of Australia
Street Address: 11 Church St, Camperdown VIC 3260, Australia
Suburb: Camperdown
State: VIC
Postcode: 3260
Foundation Stone Laid: 00-04-1864
Foundation Stone Notes: 

No Foundation Stone details are known for the original building. Information/photographs are invited.

A stones records: To the Glory of God - and in loving remembrance of - John Manifold - Born Chester England May 4th ~ 1811 - Died January 3rd ~ 1877 - Marion Manifold - Born Launceston Tasmania April 6th ~ 1829 - Died February 26th ~ 1894 - These transepts and chancel were - erected by their sons and daughters - AD 1894.

A stone on the hall records: To the Glory of God - In memory of - Thomas Peter Manifold - of Wiridgil - Founder of this Institute - 'Be strong, quit you like men' - 1896.

A stone records: To the Glory of God - In loving memory of - Edward and Beatrice Manifold - of 'Wiridgil' - This tower and spire - were erected by thier sons - Peter  Andrew and Robert - 1957.

Date Opened: 00-02-1865
Date Closed: unknown


Prior to the building of the first Anglican church in Camperdown, the congregation met in the Temperance Hall.

The foundation stone for the original building was laid in April 1864 and the church was opened in February 1865. Funded by pioneer settlers John and Peter Manifold who had pledged 500 pounds toward the cost of erecting a stone church, and other early settlers.

The family of John Manifold were generous benefactors to the church proving an imported stained glass window for the nave in 1884 and funding substantial additions in 1894.

The square tower and spire, another Manifold bequest, was erected over the original porch in 1957. The Lady Chapel was constructed in 1989.

The Parish Hall and Sunday School was erected in 1896/97, funded by a substantial bequest from Thomas Perer Manifold who died at 32 years of age in an accident in July 1895. A Church of England Grammar School was established in the Parish Hall in 1904 and closed in 1923.

More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 16/1/2018

Last Updated: Tuesday 16th January, 2018