Christ Church Anglican Church
Christ Church Anglican Church 20-04-2017 - John Huth, Wilston, Brisbane.
Christ Church Anglican Church 15-09-2015 - Trevor Bunning -

Christ Church Anglican Church

Dungog, NSW 2420

Church Information

Church Name: Christ Church Anglican Church
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Anglican Church of Australia
Street Address: 12 Chapman St, Dungog NSW 2420, Australia
Suburb: Dungog
State: NSW
Postcode: 2420
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: 

No Foundation Stone details are known. Information/photographs are invited.

A stone high up the gable of the church hall records: AD - 1892

Plaques on the Lich Gate record:

(1) A M D G - and in loving memory of - Alfred Royce Atkins AIF; John Fraser RAAF; John Thomas Curr AIF; Stanley G Newton AIF; Aleck Saint-Smith RAAF; Clifford Wilson RAN; who laid down their lives in - The Second World War 1939-1945

(2) A M D G - and in memory - of - Ella Margaret - Dowling - of - "The Oaks" - Bendolba - who died - Aug 9 1924 - "A friend is a gift of - God, and the best of - life's treasures".

(3) This War Memorial - was dedicated by - The Right - Rev De Witt Batty MA - Bishop of Newcastle - March 11. 1951 - A W Moore Thl RD - Rector.

(4) The 1996 Restoration of this Lich-Gate - was assisted by the - Dungog Memorial RSL Club.

(5) The 1996 restoration of this Lich-Gate - is in memory of - Harold Staples - 3rd September, 1918 - 9th February, 1996 - "Rest eternal grant to him O Lord and - let light perpetual shine upon him.

A plaque records: A M D G - This wall was erected - in memory of - The Wilce Family - of 'Aughentorlie' - Dungog 1940.

An historic plaque records: Christ Church Anglican Church - 1849 - The original timber slab sided church on this site was built in 1842 and was situated to the rear of the present church. Christ Church and a parochial school (which was demolished in the 1890's) were designed by Edmund Blacket in 1848 with construction beginning in 1849. The Church, dedicated in 1858, was consecrated in 1861 with the completion of the bell tower. Extensive alterations were carried out in 1906 when the stone slab floor was replaced with timber and the shingle roof clad with slate. In 1918 TM Hooke donated the double manual pipe organ still in use today. Dungog Historical Society 2008.


Date Opened: 00-00-1858
Date Closed: unknown


Prior to the erection of the present Christ Church Anglican Church building, which commenced in 1849 and was completed in 1858, services were held in the old Court House and a weatherboard hall built in 1842. The present church building was dedicated in 1858 and consecrated by Bishop Tyrell in 1861. More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 7/9/2017 &13/10/2019. & 27/4/2021.
Last Updated: Tuesday 27th April, 2021