St Cuthbert's Anglican Church
St Cuthbert's Anglican Church 19-04-2018 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria
St Cuthbert's Anglican Church - Original Church 19-04-2018 - Photograph taken from Historical Plaque - John Conn

St Cuthbert's Anglican Church

Yarrawonga, VIC 3730

Church Information

Church Name: St Cuthbert's Anglican Church
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Anglican Church of Australia
Street Address: 41 Piper St, Yarrawonga VIC 3730, Australia
Suburb: Yarrawonga
State: VIC
Postcode: 3730
Foundation Stone Laid: 15-05-1966
Foundation Stone Notes: 

Foundation stone of the original church building records: Memorial Stone - Laid 26 May 1884.

Foundation stone for the present church building laid 15/5/1966 by Rt Rev T McCall. Formal text of foundation stone not known.

A stone tablet records: To the Glory of God - this church was blessed by - + Theodore - Fourth Bishop of Wangaratta - 1966.

A plaque records: To the Glory of God - and in memory of - Maiben C M Crorkett - died at Yarrawonga 15th Jan 1906 - For 30 years a citizen of this town - and one of the founders of this church.

A plaque records: A M D G - The Parish Church of St Cuthbert - was consecrated on - Sunday 17th September 1978 - consecrated by - + Maxwell - Bishop Of Wangaratta - assisted by - + Stanley - Bishop of Bunbury.

A plaque records: This Hall - was dedicated by our Bishop - Dr Maxwell Thomas - 6th Bishop of Wangaratta - May 6th 1984.

A plaque on a large stone in front of the church records: St Cuthbert's - Centenary Year - May 1984 ~ April 1985.

A plaque records: The Lady Chapel - was dedicated by - Robert, Bishop of Wangaratta - on - Sunday March 13th 1994

A plaque records: A M D G - this addition to St Cuthbert's Hall - was blessed and opened by - The Right Reverend - Paul Richardson - 8th Bishop of Wangaratta - on 21st April, 1997.

 

Date Opened: 05-11-1966
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

Services commenced in Yarrawonga about 1879, and were conducted in local schools and the Apollo Hall.

The foundation stone of the original St Cuthbert's Church building was laid by Ven Archdeacon Tucker on 26/5/1884. The building was consecrated on 8/10/1897 by the Right Rev Field Flowers Goe, Bishop of Melbourne.

The current St Cuthbert's Anglican Chuch building was opened on 5/11/1966.

More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 7/5/2018.

Last Updated: Tuesday 16th October, 2018
ADVANCED SEARCH