A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S TownsT-Z Towns |
St Patrick's Cathedral
St Patrick's Cathedral 10-10-2017 - Paola - poropao@gmail.com
St Patrick's Cathedral 19-05-2014 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria

St Patrick's Cathedral

East Melbourne, VIC 3002

Church Information

Church Name: St Patrick's Cathedral
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Catholic
Street Address: 1 Cathedral Pl, East Melbourne VIC 3002, Australia
Suburb: East Melbourne
State: VIC
Postcode: 3002
Foundation Stone Laid: 09-04-1850
Foundation Stone Notes: 

The foundation stone of the first St Patrick's church was laid by Bishop J. A. Goold on 9/4/1850.

In December 1858 a new plan was adopted for the construction of a Cathedral following the design of W. W. Wardell.

A foundation stone was blessed on 9 April 1850 for a church designed by Samuel Jackson. This was partly built but his association with the church was discontinued in 1854 and architects George and Schneider were then appointed. The partly built sandstone church designed by Samuel Jackson was demolished. The first section of the bluestone church designed by George and Schneider opened on 14 February 1858. This was partially demolished to make way for the present cathedral proposed by architect William W Wardell. Construction commenced in 1858 and the nave and aisles were opened in 1869. The remainder of the church itself and the sacristy were completed in 1897. The spires and confessional were added and the west door rebuilt in 1936-40. The spire is higher than Wardell originally intended. The majority of stained glass in the cathedral is by Hardman of Birmingham, with two windows by Mayer of Munich and one by Montgomery. The stencilling and painting of the sanctuary is by Charles Firth and carved altars by Farmer and Brindley. C N Bell carved the throne, credence tables, bishop's chair and confessionals. The intended wall mosaics and paintings were not completed. The statue of Catholic emancipator Daniel O'Connell (1775-1847) by sculptor Sir Thomas Brock was erected by public subscription and unveiled on 30 May 1891. The statue of long- serving former Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne, Dr Daniel Mannix by English sculptor Nigel Boonham, was unveiled in March 1999. The Cathedral is of architectural importance as the largest Gothic revival building in Victoria and one of the finest works of prominent Victorian architect William Wardell with impressive scale and masterly handling of space. The apsidal chevet chapels, ambulatory and sanctuary based on French models are of particular note. The stained glass by Hardman of Birmingham and Mayer of Munich.

Date Opened: 14-02-1958
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

First mass on site held in 1858. Nave of present Cathedral completed in 1869 and used for worship. More historical information/photographs of the Cathedral/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 10/10/2017.

 

Last Updated: Friday 9th February, 2018
ADVANCED SEARCH