Drik Drik Methodist Wesleyan Chapel - Former

Drik Drik Methodist Wesleyan Chapel - Former

Drik Drik, VIC 3304

Church Information

Church Name: Drik Drik Methodist Wesleyan Chapel - Former
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Uniting Church in Australia
Street Address: 534 Winnap-Nelson Rd, Drik Drik VIC 3304, Australia
Suburb: Drik Drik
State: VIC
Postcode: 3304
Foundation Stone Laid: 00-00-1885
Foundation Stone Notes: A stone on the church gable records: 1885.
Date Opened: 12-03-1886
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

This former Drik Drik Methodist Wesleyan Chapel building is now privately owned. The church was opened on 12/3/1886 by Mr Komick, Bush Missionary from Portland.

"The former Methodist Church, located on the Winnap-Nelson Road, Drik Drik was built as a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in 1885... The congregation was served by ministers and lay preachers from Portland and later Heywood, the first being the influential Rev. William Lightbody whose descendants continued as members of the congregation. Drik Drik was the first 'preaching station' of the Portland Bush Mission. The present church dates from 1885, and appears to be the second constructed in the area superseding a timber slab church built in 1866 on the same site. The designer is not known but the builder was a Mr. Thomas. It opened free of debt...The Methodist congregation was always supported in practical ways by the local Presbyterians, with whom there were many close connections. The two formed the Presbyterian-Methodist Cooperation in 1966 and amalgamated as part of the Uniting Church of Australia in 1977, after which the present church passed into private ownership." (Extract: Glenelg Shire-Heritage Citation Report - 2006 - Hermes No 52669 - Full Report - http://www.glenelg.vic.gov.au/files/52669_METHODIST_CHURCH_FORMER_HO211.pdf.)

More historical information/photographs of the former church/congregation are invited. Photograph uploaded 3/12/2017.

Last Updated: Sunday 24th June, 2018
ADVANCED SEARCH