St Alban's Anglican Church - Former
St Alban's Anglican Church - Former 16-04-2016 - Kevin Hicks Real Estate
St Alban's Anglican Church - Former 16-04-2016 - Kevin Hicks Real Estate

St Alban's Anglican Church - Former

Tungamah, VIC 3728

Church Information

Church Name: St Alban's Anglican Church - Former
Church Previous Name: St Alban's Church of England
Denomination: Anglican Church of Australia
Street Address: 4 Barr St, Tungamah VIC 3728, Australia
Suburb: Tungamah
State: VIC
Postcode: 3728
Foundation Stone Laid: 30-05-1889
Foundation Stone Notes: 

Foundation stone laid by Ven Archdeacon John Edward Herring. The text of the foundation stone is not known. Information/photographs are invited.

A plaque records: This plaque commemorates - 100 years of worship - at St Alban's, Tungamah, - and was unveiled - on Sunday, 28th May 1989 - by - The Right Rev Robert Beal, - The 7th Bishop of Wangaratta - 1889 ~ 1989.

A plaque at site records: St Alban's Church of England. The foundation stone of this church was laid by the Venerable Archdeacon John Edward Herring on 30 May 1889 and the opening and consecration service was conducted by the Reverend Charles Vaughan, of All Saints, St Kilda on 20 October 1889. The land was donated by Mr Frederick Seidel, and the building erected by Mr T Farr, at a cost of about $500, without the chancel at the east end. The ceiling is of kauri pine and the western end has a window of cathedral glass. Extensions to the building were commenced in 1912, with the consecration being carried out by Bishop Thomas Henry Armstrong of Wangaratta on 23 February 1913. He was assisted by the Venerable Archdeacon Richard Harry Potter, the incumbent priest when the church was first commenced. The Church of England in Australia became the Anglican Church on 24th August 1981. Unfortunately, the failing attendances led to the discontinuation of services during 2012, but the building certainly holds continuing and lasting memories for the many who have worshipped here.

Date Opened: 20-10-1889
Date Closed: 00-00-2012
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

The former St Alban's Anglican Church property is now privately owned. It was deconsecrated on 16/11/2014 by Bishop John Parles. No other details are known about the former church. More historical information/photographs of the former church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 18/03/2016.

 

Last Updated: Wednesday 14th August, 2019
ADVANCED SEARCH