Primitive Methodist Church - Former
Primitive Methodist Church - Former 22-08-2019 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria
Primitive Methodist Church - Former 22-08-2019 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria

Primitive Methodist Church - Former

Talbot, VIC 3371

Church Information

Church Name: Primitive Methodist Church - Former
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Methodist (Wesleyan and Other)
Street Address: 17 Camp St, Talbot VIC 3371, Australia
Suburb: Talbot
State: VIC
Postcode: 3371
Foundation Stone Laid: 05-12-1869
Foundation Stone Notes: A plaque records: Former Primitive - Methodist Church - 1870 - This building replaced an earlier timber construction that had been removed to the site from Back Creek Flat. The foundation stone was laid 5 December 1869, and the Rev Martin Dyson, Methodist Minister from Maryborough 1870~72 officiated at the first service on 30 October 1870. The church was built by local mason Richard Clough, local plasterer James Dennithorn, with carpentry and architectural services provided by Andrew Hallen. Primitive Methodists united with other Methodists in 1902, and thereafter the church was used for Sunday School, until the 1940s. It housed a branch of the Maryborough Knitting Mill before opening as the Talbot Arts and Historical Museum in 1984.
Date Opened: 30-10-1870
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

The former Primitive Methodist Church, Talbot property is now privately owned. No other details are known about the church. More historical information/photographs of the former church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 29/9/2019.
Last Updated: Saturday 28th September, 2019
ADVANCED SEARCH