St Andrew's Presbyterian Church - Former
St Andrew's Presbyterian Church - Former 18-05-2018 -
St Andrew's Presbyterian Church - Former - Foundation Stone 18-05-2018 -

St Andrew's Presbyterian Church - Former

Gladstone, TAS 7264

Church Information

Church Name: St Andrew's Presbyterian Church - Former
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Presbyterian Church of Australia
Street Address: Groves St & Carr St, Gladstone TAS 7264, Australia
Suburb: Gladstone
State: TAS
Postcode: 7264
Foundation Stone Laid: 27-02-1918
Foundation Stone Notes: 

Foundation stone records: This stone was laid by - Gordon Mitchell Raff - on the 27th February 1918 - To the Glory of God.

(Examiner (Launceston, Tas: 1900-1954) Thu 7 Mar 1918, p6) "Gladstone - The ceremony in connection with the laying of the foundation stone of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church Gladstone, took place on Wednesday, February 27, in the presence of a large number of people, and the Union Jack was hoisted early in the day. The Rev. A. D. Leckie, convenor of the Tasmanian home mission, was present, and presided as master of ceremonies. The ceremony opened with an invocatory prayer by Mr Leckie, after which followed the singing of "The Church's One Foundation." The church secretary (Mr David Shields) read apologies from Senator Bakhap and Mr. Lindsay Clarke, and announced the receipt of cheques from various townsmen and others interested. The master of ceremonies then called upon Rev. Gordon Mitchell Raff to lay the stone. After this had been done a prayer of thanksgiving was offered by Mr. Raff. The impressive remarks of Mr Leckie then followed. The Rv. gentleman spoke a feeling tribute to the late James Galloway, who had played a very loyal and zealous part in building up the church, and who had up, to a few days of his death worked on the foundation of the new church, with his close friend, Mr. Raff. Hs work could never he forgotten, and he had set up, a standard worthy of imitation, and worthy of his beloved kirk. Words of congratulation and exhortation were given to the people in attendance, and they were enjoined to stand fast by the Church of God. After the address the Doxology was sang, and the benediction pronounced. Afternoon tea, liberally provided by the ladies. was then taken with a good relish, and to them the heartiest appreciation of the church is due. After attention had been drawn to the granite corner stone laid by the late James Galloway and Mr Raff, and thanks given to the ladies, the company dispersed. The function could be counted a success". See - https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/50970292

Date Opened: unknown
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

The former St Andrew's Presbyterian Church property is now privately owned. No other details are known about the former church. More historical information/photographs of the former church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 30/6/2018.

Last Updated: Saturday 30th June, 2018
ADVANCED SEARCH