A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

St Mary's By The Sea
St Mary's by the Sea 24-04-2011 - Jill Schiffmann
St Mary's By The Sea 08-08-2018 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria

St Mary's By The Sea

Port Douglas, QLD 4877

Church Information

Church Name: St Mary's By The Sea
Church Previous Name: St Mary's Catholic Church
Denomination: Non-denominational
Street Address: Wharf St, Port Douglas QLD 4877, Australia
Suburb: Port Douglas
State: QLD
Postcode: 4877
Foundation Stone Laid: 07-12-1913
Foundation Stone Notes: 

The Foundation Stone laid for the 2nd St Mary's Catholic Church (ie after the first St Mary's building was destroyed by a cyclone on 16/3/1911) was laid on 7/12/1913 by Rev Father Walsh OSA of Cairns (in the absence of Bishop Murray).

The text of the foundation stone is not known. Information/photographs are invited.

A Notice Board attached to the current building records: St Mary's by the Sea - Built Originally 1880 - Destoyed by Cyclone & Rebuilt 1911 - Relocated on the site 1988 - Restored by Port Douglas Restoration Society 1989.

A plaque on the bell tower records: Saint Mary's - by the Sea - Church Bell - This bell was cast in - the Philippines in 1981 and - donated to the church by - Garry & Shirley Masters - and their family. - This plaque has been placed - in honour of Shirley Masters - who passed away on the - 11th of June 2012.

Date Opened: 30-08-1914
Date Closed: 02-10-1988
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org


The first Catholic Chapel in Port Douglas was built in 1878 on a site located in Murphy Street (Cnr Island Point Road).

The St Mary's Catholic Church was built in 1881 on a different site in Murphy Street (Cnr Grant Street). The opening date is uncertain, with possible dates being one of the 20th, 27th February or 6 March 1881. The publication below states the 27th February is perhaps the more probable date.

After the first St Mary's building was destroyed by the cyclone in 1911, the replacement building was opened on 30/8/1914 by the Rev Father Dempsey of Cairns.

The last Mass was celebrated in this building on 2/10/1988.

The building was moved to its current site and opened on 10/12/1989, after renovations, with a slightly modified name of St Mary's by the Sea. It is now used as a community venue.

More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 25/8/2018.

More information see history publication -  St Mary's of Port Douglas: as it came to pass / by Barry M Craig; assisting editors Annette Anich, Sr Pat O'Shea, and Helen White. ISBN 97809873784509
Last Updated: Saturday 25th August, 2018