A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

Surface Hill Uniting Church - Former
Surface Hill Uniting Church - Former 02-12-2017 - John Huth, Wilston, Brisbane
Surface Hill Uniting Church - Former 09-10-2013 - John Huth, Wilston, Brisbane

Surface Hill Uniting Church - Former

Gympie, QLD 4570

Church Information

Church Name: Surface Hill Uniting Church - Former
Church Previous Name: Surface Hill Wesleyan/Methodist Church
Denomination: Uniting Church in Australia
Street Address: Channon St, Gympie QLD 4570, Australia
Suburb: Gympie
State: QLD
Postcode: 4570
Foundation Stone Laid: 30-01-1890
Foundation Stone Notes: 

Plaques record:

(1)This plaque - commemorating one hundred years - of continuous Methodist witness - at Surface Hill, Gympie - was unveiled by - The Rev C F Gribble OBE MA DipEd - President General - Methodist Church of Australasia - 15th September 1968

(2) The Foundation Stones - of this church - were laid by - J Bennett - E Bytheway - T J Cox - W Ferguson - T B Holmes - J Mellor - M Mellor - W H Williams - January 30th 1890

(3) This tablet was erected - to commemorate - 70 years of Methodism - at Surface Hill, Gympie - August 27th 1938

(4)1990 - The Gympie Branch - National Trust - Recognises this building - erected in 1890.

(5)Erected - by - Edward Bytheway - in - Affectionate Remembrance - of his parents - 22.10.29.

Date Opened: 07-08-1890
Date Closed: 07-04-2013
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

The last service was conducted in the church on Sunday 7/4/2013 by Rev David Thomas. The church closed after 148 years of Christian witness and is now owned privately.

"The Surface Hill Uniting Church is the third church to be built on the site. The first was a bark hut erected in 1868, and the second a wooden church designed for the Wesleyan Methodist congregation by Charles Smith. In 1889, Matthew Mellor moved at a church meeting that a new masonry church be constructed on the site.

This church would accommodate 250 people.

There was a foundation stone laying ceremony on 30th January, 1890. An earthenware jar was placed under the first of the eight foundation stones containing information about the church committees, a program of proceedings, a copy of that day's newspapers, and other information about the building of the church. The church was opened on 7 August 1890 and a dedication service was held". (Text from Gympie Region Heritage Trails plaque).

More historical information/photographs of the former church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 24/2/2018.

Last Updated: Sunday 25th February, 2018
ADVANCED SEARCH