Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
Christ Church Cathedral
Christ Church Cathedral 30-06-2014 - John Conn
Christ Church Cathedral 30-06-2014 - John Conn

Christ Church Cathedral

Darwin, NT 800

Church Information

Church Name: Christ Church Cathedral
Church Previous Name: Christ Church until it became a Cathedral in 1968
Denomination: Anglican Church of Australia
Street Address: 2 Smith Street
Suburb: Darwin
State: NT
Postcode: 800
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: -
Date Opened: 01-01-1902
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

The original Christ Church was built in 1902. Used during WWII as a garrison Church by Defence Services and badly damaged by a bomb in 1942. In 1944 the Porch and Entrance Gateway were added by members of the services in memory of comrades killed in action in the Northern Territory. On the morning of 25th December, 1974 cyclone Tracy completely destroyed the Parish Hall, the clergy residences and the Cathedral leaving only a small part of the west wall, the porch and entrance gateway.

After cyclone Tracy the Cathedral was rebuilt and dedicated as recorded on a plaque; "Christ Church Cathedral - was consecrated by - The Rt. Revd. K B Mason, BA DIP. Theol. T.H.L - first bishop of the Northern Territory - Sunday 13th March 1977 - in the presence of - The Most Revd. and Rt. Hon. F D Coggan, DD - Archbishop of Canterbury - Rector and Canon Residentiary - Revd. Canon C M Wood, BA THL - Wardens - Mr T G Irvine, M.P.S., Ph. C. - Mrs J H Prickett - Mr P G Spillett, JP".
Last Updated: Tuesday 12th July, 2016
ADVANCED SEARCH