St Anne's Anglican Church
St Anne's Anglican Church 14-07-2002 - Alan Patterson
St Anne's Anglican Church 03-04-2017 - Church Website - stannes.org.au

St Anne's Anglican Church

Ryde, NSW 2112

Church Information

Church Name: St Anne's Anglican Church
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Anglican Church of Australia
Street Address: 42 Church Street, Ryde NSW 2112, Australia
Suburb: Ryde
State: NSW
Postcode: 2112
Foundation Stone Laid: 00-00-1826
Foundation Stone Notes: 

No Foundation Stone or Memorial Plaque details are known. Information/photographs are invited.

A stone in the garden at the entrance records: St Anne's - 1826.

A stone on an entrance pillar records: Erected by - A L Lackersteen - In memory of - departed loved one.

A stone in the wall of the vestry records: 1959 War Memorial Vestries 1945? - To the glory of God this stone was laid by - The Most Rev H W K Mowll CMG DD - Archbishop of Sydney, Primate of Australia - 8th July 1951 

A plaque on a seat records: In loving memory of - Patricia Anne Dowd - called home 18th Sept. 1962 - Aged 24 yrs - From her mother, father and brother.

A paque on an entrance pillar records: This plaque is dedicated to the memory fo those who arrived in this country with Captain Arthur Phillip on The First Fleet in 1788 and were buried nearby - Fellowship of First Fleeters - 1988.

A plaque on a seat records: In loving memory of William Kenneth Moss beloved husband of Joan and adored father PA, brother and mate - Always in our hearts - 5.6.1923 ~ 16.12 97

A plaque on a seat records: In loving memory of John Joseph Mannion Died 30/11/1997 Aged 77 - and his son Bruce John Mannion Died 21.07.1988 Aged 37 - xxx they will soar on wings like eagles, they shall run and not grow weary. Is 40:31

A plaque on a seat records: In loving memory of Noeline May Elliott loved wife of Sid, mother of Gwen, Bob, Bill and Ken. Died on 14th May 1995 in 78th year after a long battle with cancer. God has her in his keeping we have her in our hearts.

 

Date Opened: 14-09-1870
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

The Church of St Anne is the third oldest church in Australia.

On 26/8/1798 the first church service in the district was conducted by Rev James Fleet Cover and Rev William Henry of the London Missionary Society, in a barn near the Parramatta River.

The church building began as a series of Chapel Schoolhouses with the first built in 1800, others followed in 1812 and 1826. 

In 1838 another schoolhouse was built on the corner of Victoria Rd and Belmore Streets allowing the original building to become St Anne's Church. The Nave was originally the schoolhouse built in 1826. A Chancel and Bell Tower were added and the building was consecrated by Bishop Barker on 14/9/1870.

The church congregation has many personal connections to the early settlement of Sydney.

More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 28/4/2018.

Last Updated: Saturday 28th April, 2018
ADVANCED SEARCH