A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S TownsT-Z Towns |
Ryde Wesley Uniting Church
Ryde Wesley Uniting Church 03-04-2017 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria
Ryde Wesley Uniting Church - Former Oddfellows' Building 03-04-2017 - John Conn, Templestowe, Victoria

Ryde Wesley Uniting Church

Ryde, NSW 2112

Church Information

Church Name: Ryde Wesley Uniting Church
Church Previous Name: Ryde Wesley Methodist Church
Denomination: Uniting
Street Address: 25-27 Church Street, Ryde NSW 2112, Australia
Suburb: Ryde
State: NSW
Postcode: 2112
Foundation Stone Laid: 00-00-1849
Foundation Stone Notes: 

No Foundation Stone details are known about either the first 1849 or the current 1870 church buildings. Information/photographs are invited.

A plaque records: Methodist witness began in Ryde in 1817 when Mr James Shepherd started a Sunday School in Dowdle's Barn. Services were held in homes unitil the First Kissing Point Methodist Church was opened on 11 September 1821. The first church on this site, now the small hall at the rear was built in 1849. The first meetings of Ryde Council were held there. This church was opened on 6 November 1870. The first resident minister settled in 1882. Ryde circuit had boundaries stretching to Dural. On 22 June 1977 Ryde Wesley became a congregation of Ryde-Meadowbank Parish of the Uniting Church in Audtralia. - To the glory of God this plaque was unveiled on 6 November 1988 by the Genrel asecretary of the NSW Synod the Rev Norman D McDonald. Rev Russell Davies ~ Minister, J K Walker Sec Property Ctee.

A plaque records: Former Oddfellows' Hall - Opened in 1868 by Ryde's first Friendly Society (Oddfellows' Lodge United Friends No 48) it was the scene of a public meeting in 1870 which petitioned successfully for local govenrment in Ryde. In 1917 it was transferred to the Methodist Church. Monumanet funded by the NSW Bicentennial Council.

A foundation stone for the George H Trevitt Memorial Hall 1933 records: To the glory of God - this stone was set - by - Emily Trevitt - 23rd Sep. 1933.

Date Opened: 06-11-1870
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

This building is also used by the Ryde Korean SDA Church and the Sydney Jireh Presbyterian Church.

This was the second church building in the Ryde District and was opened in 1849. A new building was opened in 1870. The original building is now a hall for the current church.

More historical information/photographs of the churches/congregations are invited. Photographs uploaded 6/4/2017.

Last Updated: Thursday 6th April, 2017
ADVANCED SEARCH