A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns

Cathedral Church of Christ the King
Cathedral Church of Christ the King 13-10-2017 - John Huth, Wilston, Brisbane.
Cathedral Church of Christ the King unknown date -

Cathedral Church of Christ the King

Grafton, NSW 2460

Church Information

Church Name: Cathedral Church of Christ the King
Church Previous Name: -
Denomination: Anglican Church of Australia
Street Address: Duke St, Grafton NSW 2460, Australia
Suburb: Grafton
State: NSW
Postcode: 2460
Foundation Stone Laid: unknown
Foundation Stone Notes: 

A foundation stone for the extension records: This foundation stone of the - Cathedral extension was laid - by - Fairfax Bell MA MB B Ch - on 27th June 1934 during the - Cathedral Jubilee Celebrations - J W Ashton MA DD Bishop - G P M Ware Sub Dean.

A stone tablet records: The completed Nave and - the Baptistry - of this Cathedral Church - were dedicated by - The Bishop of the Diocese - on October 30th 1937.

A stone tablet records: To the Glory of God - and in grateful memory of - Francis Lendon Bell MA Priest - who with his sons - Fairfax, Hilary & Lendon - by a generous gift made possible - the extensions to this Cathedral 1934~1937 - This stone was set on the - fourteenth day of September 1959 by - Nigel Ashton - for his father - John William Ashton - Second Bishop of this Diocese.

A stone tablet records: In memory of - J F Munnings ARIBA FRAIA - Architect for the extensions - to this Cathedral who died before - the work was completed. Twenty - ninth day of September 1937 - Erected by his fellow workers.

A plaque records: A M D G - This plaque was unveiled by - His Excellency, - Air Marshall Sir Jamess Rowland, - KBE DFC AFC K St J - Governor of New South Wales - on 12th July, 1984 - to mark the completion of the - restoration of Christ Church Cathedral - in its centenary year. - The Rt Revd D N Shearman OBE ~ Bishop - The Very Revd R W Hurford ~ Dean - Dr G R Vesey - Bishop's Warden and Charirman of the Cathedral Restoration Committee.

A stone tablet records: A M D G - This Centenary Commemorative Stone - was dedicated by - The Right Reverend Donald N Shearman OBE - Seventh Lord Bishop of Grafton - on - The Feast of St James, Apostle and Martyr - the 25th July, 1984. - The 100th Anniversary of the opening and dedication - of - The Cathedral Church of Christ the King - The Very Reverend Richard W Hurford - Fifth Dean of Grafton.

 

 

 

Date Opened: unknown
Date Closed: unknown
Email: admin@churchesaustralia.org

Comments

From a small wooden church, to the present Cathedral Church, Anglicans have been worshiping formally in Grafton since 1842. The building of the original Cathedral was completed in 1884.

More historical information/photographs of the church/congregation are invited. Photographs uploaded 26/11/2017.

 



A brief history can be found on the Cathedral website: https://www.graftoncathedral.org.au/history
Last Updated: Sunday 26th November, 2017
ADVANCED SEARCH